idea for closed loop fuel pump control

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

idea for closed loop fuel pump control

Post by ashford »

i had an idea for closed loop fuel pump control but ran into an issue sensor wise.

my idea was to use a return style system with a flow sensor on the return and try and maintain a trickle in the return line to keep pump speeds down and eliminate the need for a large fuel return line. the problem i ran into was all the affordable sensors i have found are the type that "tick off" volume, basically a pulse for every metered volume.

http://www.futurlec.com/FLOWFUEL30L0.shtml

looking through tuner studio this probably wont work as it is voltage based not frequency.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: idea for closed loop fuel pump control

Post by elutionsdesign »

I would think you can set up a generic sensor input or VSS input and base a closed loop PWM output using the input.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Use a frequency-to-voltage chip? Those have been around for a long time, can probably do any scaling you need as well as the F/V conversion.
hardline
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hardline »

Have you just thought of running a fuel pressure sensor and going returnless?
2000 ZX2 : Sequential COP, MS3 + MS3X + TinyIOx, PWM Returnless Fuel, Flex Fuel, Variable Geometry Intake Manifold, Garrett GTX2863R .82AR housing @ 15 psi
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

billr wrote:Use a frequency-to-voltage chip? Those have been around for a long time, can probably do any scaling you need as well as the F/V conversion.
Agreed - something like an LM2907 / 2917 (with careful selection of function resistors and caps) should work quite nicely.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems