LCD with MS3-Pro

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

rmoehle
Helpful MS/Extra'er

LCD with MS3-Pro

Post by rmoehle »

Hey all,
I found these parts in the garage, and it appears to be the last mechanic's attempt at incorporating an LCD into our MS3-Pro system ('01 Suzuki). It looks like DIYAuto has discontinued any displays it once had, so can anyone identify this from the pictures? Is it even remotely compatible with MS3-Pro?
New to the forums
Thanks!
V__4BD4.jpg
V__3398.jpg
V__DB4F.jpg
MWPau
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: LCD with MS3-Pro

Post by MWPau »

Whats the part number of the big IC on the board?
(or better, take a decent photo of it).
Toyota Celica GT4/Alltrac with 5S-GTE stroker (2.2L I4 turbo, high CR) on E85 w/FlexFuel.
MS3 + MS3X + KnockBoard + RTC + BT + DIY CAN-IO-Board + DIY CAN Digital Dash.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

That is not the LCDash we used to sell - those had two USB connectors, but no D-subs.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
rmoehle
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rmoehle »

MWPau wrote:Whats the part number of the big IC on the board?
(or better, take a decent photo of it).
I'm sorry, where would I find a part number? That's where I would have preferred to start, but saw nothing
MS3Pro on Suzuki 1.3L Turbo
Garrett turbocharger, Engine ported and polished, Ground cam, Forged dished pistons, Coil-on-plug, Dual fuel pump, Milspec lines
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the numbers off the big square chip in pic 2
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

As far as I know, there has never been a generally available LCD for Megasquirt other than the LCDash that was available at DIYAutotune. Since this is not it, that means it's either a generic item or one that has been programmed for a specific application. So if you can't talk to the last mechanic or find any documentation, there's little anyone can do to make this work. Even if someone can find what the hardware is, that still won't help since this will be a custom setup that no one knows other than the one who programmed it.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

It looks to me like that's just the guts of an LCD monitor that might be used for a PC... are those VGA and HDMI connectors on the side?

If so, it's nowhere near a "plug and play" solution for what you're trying to do. You need some sort of microprocessor/microcontroller to receive the data from the Megasquirt, render it to video, and output the video to that display. The Raspberry Pi comes to mind as something that might work, although I'm not sure if it has a serial port to receive data from the Megasquirt. The ideal solution would have a CAN interface to communicate with the Megasquirt, but that gets even more complicated.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
rmoehle
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rmoehle »

Attaching an image of the chip with the numbers on it
WP_20150728_008.jpg
Thanks for the posts. Considering cutting our losses and going with a dedicated Android display/dashboard..
Garrett turbocharger, Engine ported and polished, Ground cam, Forged dished pistons, Coil-on-plug, Dual fuel pump, Milspec lines
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

that ic is just a lcd driver im wondering if its just a cheep mini display thats been gutted this sorta THINGImage
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Extremely likely.

That chip is a Realtek RTD2660 which is a display controller. It takes video input from VGA, HDMI, etc. and uses it to drive the LCD panel. It has no real intelligence in it, as would be needed to interface to a Megasquirt.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the raspberry pi 2 b runs tuner studio quite nicely you could then have that displaying on the screen i would have thought.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

So a quick search of this raspberry pi thing, shows its a small control board that I then buy an lcd screen, say like a 7 inch for the dash and megasquirt then uses USB connection and I'm assuming I can run a wireless keyboard for dash tuning capability? It must run on windows to handle tuner studio?

I picked up a tashiba encore mini for this job but it's proving kinda cumbersome on the install to get the cords ran properly and to have it charge while hooked up to megasquirt
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the raspberry pi runs its own version of linux (raspbian) TS & MLV will both run on it as well as a load of other programs, it has 4 usb ports so a wireless keyboard and mouse would work fine, i have connected it to my microsquirt using a usb-rs232 adaptor worked fine, a usb bluetooth dongle in the pi and a bluetooth on the ecu also worked, and i also used a rs232-ttl (max232) and a bluetooth to ttl on the pi and i was able to connect only tested on the bench but was able to connect in quite a few ways. it takes aprox 45-50 seconds for it to boot from being off to being inside the desktop and able to open ts, i had not used linux based computers before so was a bit of a learing curve initially. there is a raspberry pi thread in the tuner studio section. a rtc module may well be needed as i think not having the correct date upset ts as well.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 22&t=44746
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Interesting. My project is coming to this part of the install really soon. I'll have to do more searching on this
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

according to the diyautotune website you can still purchase megaview II, lcd display unit that is compatible with ms2 and ms3 ecu's. its listed under the MS display devices tab in the products menu.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

kaeman wrote:according to the diyautotune website you can still purchase megaview II, lcd display unit that is compatible with ms2 and ms3 ecu's. its listed under the MS display devices tab in the products menu.
It's not an LCD display. Read the description and follow some links there. This is different from the LCDash that they had which was an LCD display and is no longer available.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
rmoehle
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rmoehle »

Are megaview II and LCDash compatible with ms3pro? Just curious as evaluating options
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Megaview2 is compatible, but I'd suggest you look closely at some photos of it in action before buying.
LCDdash is obsolete i.e. there's no such thing to buy. No idea if it was ever compatible with MS3-Pro.

Perhaps consider Shadowdash if you are looking for that kind of thing.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

my bad....vfd display.....
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

LCDash was never compatible with MS3. But it only requires a firmware change to work. I currently have an lcdash running with my ms3 so should work with ms3pro.

It is unfortunate that it is no longer avaliable.

Cheers
Daniel
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
Twin turbo LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.