Placement of 8 WB's on a V8 header

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Placement of 8 WB's on a V8 header

Post by Yves »

I need to make changes to my exhaust system and have to take my headers off. I'm thinking this might be a good time to add bungs for lamdasensors in each primary for future placement of 8 WB's. However this seems to be difficult and the arrangement of the tubes makes the bungs sit at an infavorable angle. Anyone ever done this on a V8 header ?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Placement of 8 WB's on a V8 header

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Scott Clark (dieselgeek) would likely be the person with the best experience on this. You might want to try to contact him if he doesn't see this post.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

They make some 45 degree bungs which may help. A lot of wide bands won't like the heat. The discontinued NGK worked really well.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

You can still get the "old ngk" from Ballenger Motorsports under the afr500 name. Identical to the ngk unit. Great for stoich and way, way richer.

Buying eight though would hurt a bit!
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

As I said, Scott Clark has done this and, as far as I know, it was with the LSU sensor. If you can find pictures from the engines he tuned for the Engine Master's Challenge, you might be able to see what it looks like. Of course, a dyno-only setup is not the same thing but that should still be useful.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Just adding to conversation. Preference of the w/b over an egt probe? Talking with my local dyno/race shop which runs a ethanol 1200whp eclipse, found running wide bands, his install saw 100* increase in egt from a 12.1 afr to a 12.2 afr
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

a setup on a dyno is an interely different thing imo. The short time that they are used to run and the environment they are run in probably doesn't lead to any issues with condensation.

The main problem I have are the lower tubes on the header. These run up to the 2 center ports and are a mayor pia to fit a sensor. I can only set them on the tubes sideways, or in the part going up, but then then sensor is prone to condensation hitting it.

If I want to mount them upward, my best bet would be in the primary just after the exhaust port but that would create mayor heat in the sensor. I do intend to use the extented bung though. Not just for heat reasons, but also to avoid too much obstruction to the exhaust.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

If condensation is your main concern, you could be looking at a way to power the wideband controllers a short while after the engine starts either manually or automatically. That way, condensation will not be hitting a hot sensor so there won't be any thermal shock even if there is any condensation hitting the sensors. You probably still don't want to be boiling off a puddle of water but a few drops should likely be ok.

Jean
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Is that a setting in TS ?

Anyone here ever put them close to the exhaust port ?
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

I'd sort of understood a wideband can't stand the heat of being close to the exhaust port, unlike a narrow band. Unless there are versions which can these days.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

racingmini_mtl wrote:As I said, Scott Clark has done this and, as far as I know, it was with the LSU sensor. If you can find pictures from the engines he tuned for the Engine Master's Challenge, you might be able to see what it looks like. Of course, a dyno-only setup is not the same thing but that should still be useful.

Jean
No, it was using NTK sensors. I borrowed the setup once before the controllers started to fail (or were damaged).
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Peter Florance wrote:No, it was using NTK sensors. I borrowed the setup once before the controllers started to fail (or were damaged).
Ok. I know he's done at least one setup with LSU sensors but it may not have been an Engine Master's Challenge setup.

Jean
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

I think I can get them in, but a couple of them will be at a foot or so distance from the port.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

That seems quite close but it might be ok with the extended heat sink bungs. If you can use controllers that can report the sensor temperature (not just if they overheat), that would be a good way to keep this in check. I know this is possible with some of the 14point7 products but there are probably others.

Jean
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

I'm looking at the 14point7 items as these are quite cheap compared to others. This doesn't mean that as whole this is a cheap deal. I need to outweight advantages and disadvantages. However I have noticed that some cyls are running pretty lean compared to others.