Protocol Error (two serial devices on MS3)

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Protocol Error (two serial devices on MS3)

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

Whilst refitting the ecu back under the dash, I installed the EFI Analytics bluetooth adaptor to allow me to use the shadow dash on my phone. I've used it before so didn't expect anything unusual. What I found was Tunerstudio showed there was a Protocol Error and the data was not being shown smoothly.

I tried re-booting TS a couple of times but the fault remained. Once the adaptor was removed TS was its normal self.

Any ideas?
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x
DeadStiff
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Protocol Error

Post by DeadStiff »

You can't use serial and USB at the same time. Internally they are connected to the same processor pins.
MS3+X on 73 Karmann Ghia ignition only with LS2 truck coils firing in sequential, fuel next.
2333(103*70) Type 4 with DTM also sitting in living room just need exhaust.
1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

Ok. Seems a pity you cannot keep the adaptor plugged in as its under the dash and not easy to get to.
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x
DeadStiff
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DeadStiff »

Agreed, what I did was to run a good serial cable beside my passenger seat so a can switch between Shadow Dash on Bluetooth and Tunerstudio on serial.
MS3+X on 73 Karmann Ghia ignition only with LS2 truck coils firing in sequential, fuel next.
1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

Plug in one or the other. Brilliant idea.
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x
1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

As my laptop doesn't have a serial connection port I use a usb cable for TS. Do I need a separate serial cable for the Bluetooth adaptor or is there a converter I can plug into the usb cable.
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I doubt there's a suitable cable available to convert from a USB device to an RS232 link to Bluetooth. Instead, you could get a USB-serial adapter for your computer and swap between that and the Bluetooth module.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Protocol Error (two serial devices on MS3)

Post by elaw »

You can also get a Bluetooth dongle for your laptop and thus connect using either device (not both at the same time) via BT. That's what I do.

The only downside is that the BT link isn't quite as fast as RS-232 or USB... usually a minor issue when tuning or logging. It's more of an issue when updating the firmware in the controller but usually that's not done very often.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

Went and bought a serial extension cable (male/male, 1.8m, shortest available) but cannot get a bluetooth connection. The power light is on but the blue connection light keeps flashing.

If I plug the adaptor directly to the ecu, connection is instant.

Is the cable length the issue?
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x
DeadStiff
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DeadStiff »

I haven't bought serial cables in a long time and I'm starting to remember the different cables. You want to avoid null modem cables they cross the RX and TX pins. You need a straight through cable, ex. pin 2 to pin 2, pin 3 to pin 3 ect. You can use a null modem adapter on a null modem cable to uncross the pins.

If the cable has really thin wires and is long the Bluetooth adapter won't power up or might do other weird things.
1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

I bought the wrong cable initially (null) and bought the straight extension. Power on is not a problem, just android phone cannot connect to it.
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x
DeadStiff
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DeadStiff »

Is it not connecting to the Bluetooth adapter or not seeing the ms? Is the switch in the right position away from the serial port? Does it work with the computer with a serial adapter?
1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

If you plug the BT adaptor straight into the MS it works fine. Plug the extension cable in and attach the BT adaptor to the end and there's power but the blue light keeps flashing and connection cannot be achieved.

I've bitten the bullet and cut the cable so its a more manageable 500mm so when I solder that up tomorrow, I'll see if the length was the issue. If not, its back to square one.
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x
1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Protocol Error (two serial devices on MS3) SOLVED

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

So I cut the extension down to 500mm and soldered everything back together and it works fine. Obviously the length of the cable is the issue.

All good now.
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x