Firmware Upgrade Questions

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

NigeT
Master MS/Extra'er

Firmware Upgrade Questions

Post by NigeT »

Hi, I'm probably being dense but I've spent an evening trying to figure out from TunerStudio and documentation what I have to do to handle the following from the release notes:

1. Baro
Previously the code used to divide by the barometer when calculating the fuel
pulsewidth. If using an old tune you need to enable the "old style" baro
calculation to enable the old behaviour.

3. Closed-loop boost
The initial values table is now a bias table. This needs to be tuned as an
open-loop table using "setup mode" before enabling full closed-loop. See the
tooltips and manual.

The other release notes don't seem to impact my tune, which was made by a professional tuner on a motorsport hub dyno on firmware version 1.3.4, but these notes worry me a little and I don't feel happy to update the firmware without knowing that the tune will continue to work correctly after doing so.

I have not been able to find any reference to where I could enable "old style" baro calculation out how to determine if my tune is an "old tune" that requires this change. I guess since this is a release note for upgrade from an earlier version this switch would always be needed if you already have a tune, right?

How many tunes out there in the world will be impacted by the change of the closed-loop boost initial values table to a bias table (I'm afraid I don't even know what that means)? How do I fix this to keep my car running properly? Couldn't it have been fixed up as part of the upgrade?

As I said probably dumb questions but I have honestly spent several hours searching with nothing to show for it. I guess my TunerStudio may not be showing new help because I'm still on the 1.3.4 firmware, but I can't update without knowing what I need to do to make the necessary changes for the tune to be correct for the new firmware, and how long it will take.

Thanks,
Nigel.
NigeT
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Firmware Upgrade Questions

Post by NigeT »

I'd really appreciate any help on this as I'd like tulip be able to keep my MS-Labs MS3 Basic on current firmware but currently I don't feel I underrstand the impact of the changes on my tune and so I cannot upgrade.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

NigeT wrote: I have not been able to find any reference to where I could enable "old style" baro calculation out how to determine if my tune is an "old tune" that requires this change. I guess since this is a release note for upgrade from an earlier version this switch would always be needed if you already have a tune, right?
If your 1.3.4 tune had baro correction enabled, go to Basic / Load Settings -> General Settings. "Old baro calc" appears as the last item in the Baro Sensor Settings box in the top left-hand corner of this screen.
How many tunes out there in the world will be impacted by the change of the closed-loop boost initial values table to a bias table (I'm afraid I don't even know what that means)? How do I fix this to keep my car running properly? Couldn't it have been fixed up as part of the upgrade?
If you were using closed loop boost control, you'll need to redo the bias table. If you weren't, don't worry about this one.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
NigeT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by NigeT »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for helping me out with this.

You are sure that the ball correction only applies if Barometric Correction is not set to "None"? I really did not get that from the release notes, i.e. - If using an old tune you need to enable the "old style" baro calculation to enable the old behaviour.

My tune does use closed loop boost control but I see no "bias table" in TunerStudio. I have 2 Boost Control Target Tables (selected by physical switch) each of which seems to have a Boost Control Initial Duty table. Daniel Elias who tuned my car is no longer available (moved to Australia I believe and no longer communicating) so I really need a bit more of a guide for how to change this (and really what the benefit is of the change) and really hope someone can help with this.

Thanks,
Nigel.
NigeT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by NigeT »

I'm afraid Swype messed up my l last post - it should of course read "You are sure that baro correction..."
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Have you actually upgraded firmware? And to which did you upgrade too? Can you post your current msq. The latest boost control is in 1.4.0 is great. Way more accurate and tuning it is not bad at all
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
NigeT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by NigeT »

Hi, my concerns on reading the release notes have stopped me from upgrading, so I am still on 1.3.4 IIRC. I'd like to move forward but doubt have accessed to the hub dyno and expertise used to create my current tune and don't want to mess it up. I don't want to change the pulse width calculation or boost tables unless they are faulty, but it seems that the upgrade forces me to do so. Or are the release notes ambiguous in some way.
Many thanks,
Nigel.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

Are you having problems with your current tune? If your vehicle is running fine and the engine likes the current tune and firmware, then don't bother upgrading to new firmware. If the new firmware has fixes for some problem you are having, then you need to make the upgrade, but unless you are having a problem or are looking for some new features, then you don't really need to upgrade and can save yourself time and effort by just enjoying the system as it is. Good luck.

You know the old saying...... if it isn't broken, don't fix it.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
NigeT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by NigeT »

Good point, well made.
The car generally runs very well. I think some cold start imperfections are beginning to show now that temperatures are dropping, the knock control is not configured well and I do have one big problem with power/torque cutting under near WOT sometimes - I'm struggling to find something in the logs to work with to fix this - mainly because it'll happen once in a 40 minute run; typically in mid overtake which is less than cool. I'm working on something to allow me to cut out the section of the log that brackets the time that I note the problem.
The latest boost control sounds like it would be worth having - if I can figure out what I need to change after updated to keep my tune working. I don't want to change the boost targets.
Thanks,
Nigel
NigeT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by NigeT »

Thanks again Matt. Been away from this for a while as I'm still waiting for a replacement drive module for the Fab9tuning COPs kit in my car - it died when kit was on track.

IIRC my tune does not have baro correction enabled, so I guess this means I can just leave the default after upgrading the firmware.

My tune does have closed loop boost control but I'm not sure how I can redo the bias table since my tune does not have a bias table - I think it has initial value tables (there are 2 boost tables controlled by a switched input). Is there some process to convert the initial values table to the new style bias table?
Thanks again,
Nigel.
NigeT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by NigeT »

Still confused about the barometric release note. The MS3 1.3.x setup guide says:
7.2 Speed Density
The primary load input is the MAP sensor.
With 'Multiply MAP', without 'Include AFR target'
PW = DT + (ReqFuel * MAP * VE[RPM,MAP] * AirDen * BaroCor * corrections)
With 'Multiply MAP', with 'Include AFR target'
PW = DT + (ReqFuel * MAP * Stoich/AFRtarget * VE[RPM,MAP] * AirDen * BaroCor * corrections)

As I have barometric correction off, where would there be any barometric pressure based factor in that calculation?

I'm worried about this because the Default Baro setting in my tune seems a bit odd (60kPa) so if there is a division by it I need to be careful and would ideally like to correct this error.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Do you have a datalog from the old firmware? Check the value of "Baro" in the log.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
NigeT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by NigeT »

Thanks James, I can certainly do that.
NigeT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by NigeT »

In MegaLogViewer Barometer is pegged at 100. This clearly isn't the same as the Default Caro setting in my tune file, but does it she'd any light on whether I need to run the "old style" barometric calculation for the new firmware?
Thanks, Nigel.
NigeT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by NigeT »

Sorry for Swype autocorruptions.

Nigel
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

As Baro is showing as 100%, you can safely leave the Old calc disabled
The "old calc" will be doing 100%/100% which gives 100% i.e. no influence

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
NigeT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by NigeT »

Thanks James, that's great. Am I safe to assume that "Default Baro" seeing is not used if barometric correction is disabled and so can be set to any value?
Just for curiosity, is the v1.4 barometric correction value calculated very differently?
Thanks.