only running on cylinder 1

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dunnp2
MS/Extra Newbie

only running on cylinder 1

Post by dunnp2 »

Hi guys, I'm making solid progress and got the engine spinning but now can't get it to idle unless it's below the cranking rpm. I just unplugged all but coil #1 with no effect, so I believe it was only running on cylinder #1...

I have triple checked wiring, I am very confident that both coils and injectors are wired properly (1342). I'm pretty sure all of my settings are right, and I've checked in test mode and all of the coils and injectors are firing in the right order. I don't know what's up. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

My wideband says it's running super lean, which I suspect is because I'm only firing on 1 cylinder and the rest is either going out the exhaust unburned or mixing in with my oil...fun.

MSQ and MSL attached.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: only running on cylinder 1

Post by billr »

Try running it on each cylinder by itself, let's confirm that it is only firing on #1. Do any of the plugs look wet?
jamies
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jamies »

your req fuel is wrong, so it wont be getting any fuel...
change to 1 squirt simultaenous and around 5ms req fuel to start with and go from there
your injectors are too big to run 4 squirts
dunnp2
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dunnp2 »

Thanks! That's the kind of smoking gun I was hoping for! I just read up on the req_fuel section of the tuner studio manual - sounds like I'd ideally have that above 8ms. The calculation puts it at 3.80, but you say to bump it up to 5? What kind of ill effects might there be if I just change the calculated number? Do I just compensate by having proportionately lower VE values? If that's the case, should I just leave it at 3.80?

I'll get that updated tomorrow and try it out.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Do what jamies suggested and change the number of squirts.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Leave the req_fuel at the calculated value (3.8ms). Raising that and lowering the VE will have no effect, the injector pulses will still be quite short. Why such big injectors, are you planning on using manifold boost or something like E85?
dunnp2
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dunnp2 »

billr wrote:Leave the req_fuel at the calculated value (3.8ms). Raising that and lowering the VE will have no effect, the injector pulses will still be quite short. Why such big injectors, are you planning on using manifold boost or something like E85?
Will do, thanks. I made the changes last night, will plug into the car tonight after work and see how it works.

I do have a turbo installed and wanted to protect for E85, and was led to believe that 1000s were fairly typical with engines my size and would be simple enough to make idle well. These are the EV14s that I'm told are easy to control at the short PW end of the RPM range. As I become more educated I'm realizing I should have stuck to as small of an injector as possible.
dunnp2
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dunnp2 »

Well, I found the problem, for anyone following along...

Turns out I forgot the valve cover seals around the spark plug holes and the rear three plugs were flooded with oil and shorting. The front one was also submerged but the oil hadn't made it to the coil connection so it was still firing.

Should have a new gasket tomorrow after work and I'll give it another shot.
dunnp2
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dunnp2 »

A little update for anyone searching for this problem, I got everything back together and it was still only firing on cylinder #1. I did a lot more beating my head against the wall and finally noticed that my ignition settings were set that the trigger wheel was spinning at crank speed instead of cam speed. That would explain why it was only firing on cylinder 1 and I was getting intermittent backfires from cylinder 4 firing on the intake stroke.

Just fired it up and it sounds awesome! I have a bit of cyclic idle to take care of tomorrow, but now I can finally get a tune going!