Repeatable loss of RPM signal only during cranking

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

babbit bearings
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Repeatable loss of RPM signal only during cranking

Post by babbit bearings »

I am fairly new to MS3 and never tried to create a log before, did I do it right?
2015-08-23 with filter.msl
2015-08-23_18.38.21.msl
MS3 Gold on stock LM7 GM 5.3L with a Z06 cam & a 67 mm turbo.

Once started the engine runs fine, but always starts very strangely. Engage starter, engine spins normally, but doesn't fire or even seem to attempt to fire even with extended cranking, then abruptly it fires up with authority, it instantly goes from cranking to running smoothly, no stumble, no misfiring like it was loading up on fuel...

I assumed I had something wrong with cranking pulse, priming pulse, etc, but the log seems to show the RPM dropping to zero when the starter is engaged an the engine is turning over, but in a consistent way.

Without filtering and with filtering on it seems to be the same.

Am I reading the log right?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Repeatable loss of RPM signal only during cranking

Post by grom_e30 »

you are getting some sync loss during cranking thats not ideal and will make starting more difficult. if you read the manuals on capturing a composite log and post that up it will show the signals the ecu is getting from the crank/cam sensors and make diagnosing the problem easier.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
babbit bearings
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Thanks, I will read up on that and post the results.
babbit bearings
Helpful MS/Extra'er

First attempts, shows the sync error, but I don't think this is really what you wanted...
babbit bearings
Helpful MS/Extra'er

I read on a Miata forum that increasing the dwell battery correction fixed a very similar problem, so I changed it to 300% @ 10 volts... no change, the sync still drops out.

I am going to put two batteries with a charger and see if low voltage is an issue for the sensors.

I think the sensors might have 300K miles on them, so they will be next, but I didn't have this problem with an MSD 6012 box and carb, so...
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

there does not seem to be any adjustment for the inputs on your ecu, so some basic things you can check is supply voltage i believe its meant to be 12v on your setup where are they getting the power? make sure the crank and cam sensor wires are away from sources of electrical noise like ignition coils and starter motor or heavy gauge power wires. are you running resistor type spark plugs.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
babbit bearings
Helpful MS/Extra'er

With two batteries and a charger I made another log and found Reason 68 & then 91.

I wonder if the timing chain being really loose can cause the cam to get out of sync during cranking. It is the original with about 300K miles. :(

I think it is possible to run this engine on crank sensor only I will try that tomorrow. :RTFM:
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

slop in the timing gear yeah that could do it, i think the x24 pattern dose requires the cam sensor
babbit bearings
Helpful MS/Extra'er

batch and semi both generate Lost Sync Reason 91, and the RPM signal drops in & out about every .400 seconds during cranking.

I am going to change the sensors but I doubt that it will do any good.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Try upgrading to the current firmware release. A change was made a while back that helps some 24X LS installs. I forget whether that change made it into 1.3.3

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
babbit bearings
Helpful MS/Extra'er

jsmcortina wrote:Try upgrading to the current firmware release. A change was made a while back that helps some 24X LS installs. I forget whether that change made it into 1.3.3

James

Will do thanks.
Craig
babbit bearings
Helpful MS/Extra'er

:yeah!:

FIXED!

Update => No more sync loss during cranking!

Thank you Sir.