Megasquirt ignition/fueling table size?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

holmesgraham
MS/Extra Newbie

Megasquirt ignition/fueling table size?

Post by holmesgraham »

Hello!

I'm new to this forum and am looking for a bit of advice. I am looking for an ECU that will manage a 1000CC motorbike engine that is going in my classic mini, to be precise its a BMW S1000RR engine. I have been looking at the specs of the MS3 and am unsure if the fueling/ignition tables will be big enough as the bike revs to 14200RPM.

Has anyone used this ECU up to these RPM's on these type of engines and would be willing to give there opinion of how the ECU performs.

Cheers!

Graham H
radial
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Megasquirt ignition/fueling table size?

Post by radial »

I've seen multiple motorcycle engines run on Microsquirt(a updated MS2 in a tiny and handy Credit card size casing),and that is a "slower" unit than MS3.

Someone might put more facts on the table to reassure you.

As far as table size, you cant add more cells, buy you Can change the scale on each cell individualy to match your maximum rpm and kpa.
Toyota JZX90 Mark II drifter
1JZ-GTE, 12+1 on MS3x, 6x LS7 D514's, 510cc, all stock sensors
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

No problem, I think when you are done you'll be amazed how small the changes are across wide rpm ranges. You can also enable table switching based on rpm and get two tables for both VE and ignition (and AFR).
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

My impression is that 14.2K rpm isn't all that high for the bike guys...
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I table switch on the fueling side because I wanted more break points for boost, and that allowed me to fine tune fueling over peak tq area and all around the map. My fuel table is essentially 26x31
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Engines operate pretty linearly, with large jumps only in a couple areas. 16x16 is enough for like 95% of the engines out there, maybe more. For the ones that need more than that, just use a second table and switch between them.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
ekam99
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ekam99 »

Do you mean 1000rr with a throttle, traction, abs, quick-shifter...etc.???
holmesgraham
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by holmesgraham »

Thanks for your input guys, this really puts my mind at ease about using this ECU.

Yeah, it did have traction control and ABS but these are controlled by the original ECU. I did plan to use the original ECU but with all the extra rider aids and the ride by wire throttle it seems simpler to go aftermarket ECU as it's going in a classic mini, this also makes going forced induction easier!
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

my gsxr600 went to 14,500rpm that ran on a microsquirt quite happily i used table switching based on rpm so i had one spark table from 900-7000rpm and it switched over to the second ignition table from 7001-14500rpm.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
dnz
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by dnz »

grom_e30 wrote:my gsxr600 went to 14,500rpm that ran on a microsquirt quite happily i used table switching based on rpm so i had one spark table from 900-7000rpm and it switched over to the second ignition table from 7001-14500rpm.
Just curious as to why you need two spark tables? I would've thought if anything you would want a larger fuel table, not spark?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

in ms2 the fuel table is 16x16 which i found was large enough, but the ignition table is only 12x12 and and between 1500 rpm and 5500rpm the timing at low load goes from 10btdc to 60btdc and the 12x12 was a little to small for me so i doubled the timing table to make the transition smoother.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
ekam99
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ekam99 »

holmesgraham wrote:Thanks for your input guys, this really puts my mind at ease about using this ECU.

Yeah, it did have traction control and ABS but these are controlled by the original ECU. I did plan to use the original ECU but with all the extra rider aids and the ride by wire throttle it seems simpler to go aftermarket ECU as it's going in a classic mini, this also makes going forced induction easier!
Learn how to deal with oem ECU. Forced induction on 1000rr? IMO the best ever advice could be: sell a bmw engine, buy any of japanese 1000-1300cc for your project and microsquirt it. Don't ruin a top class machinery.