Using ABS sensor as vss input

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Imdominant
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Using ABS sensor as vss input

Post by Imdominant »

Ok , what i have is a 1979 chevy malibu wagon with a 5.3LS twin turbo - ms3/ms3x. I have installed spindles/rotors/hubs from a 2000 s10 blazer, to upgrade & modernize the front brakes and so i will have an ABS wheel sensor to use for VSS. I need help/advice on how to connect the ABS sensor to the ms3/ms3x (any setup info would also be helpful). these are 2 wire sensors (i am not sure of the type - and this is my main hold up)

I intend to just use it for speed reference initially and after setting it up i will be putting a collar around my yoke , and getting driveshaft speed, so i can use traction control.

Any help is appreciated.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Using ABS sensor as vss input

Post by grom_e30 »

2 wire abs sensor will more than likely be a vr type sensor so will some sort of a vr conditioning circuit, how many teeth are on the abs ring? im using one of the switched inputs for my rear wheel speed sensor 9 tooth ring in the rear diff and that works fine, when i added my front wheel speed, a vr abs sensor with a 48 tooth ring i built a vr conditioner based on a lm1815 and fed that in to one of the switched inputs it worked fine up until 60-70 mph and then would drop out as the frequency was to high, i solved it by wiring it in to pt4 it can handle higher frequency's so if you have a higher tooth count abs ring you may need to use that input.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Can you get a vss in the tranny? Look at the JBPerf dual be board. I using this on my car for the front abs sensor and transmission sensor to get both inputted
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
Imdominant
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Imdominant »

My research turns up that this is a 52 tooth wheel inside of the hub assembly. i hooked the sensor to a scope today and had the car on a jack and rotated the tire as fast as i could make it go (which was with my foot) i was able to get its output up to about 5.25v and it said that it was at approx 100Hz give or take. i assume that this would keep rising as speed rose, so this makes me scared to just "try it" on any of the inputs on my MS3/MS3X.

I have a TH350 trans right now, and will have a Glide trans soon so i dont think i could easily get a vss in the tranny. I had planned on running a collar on my differential Yoke for VSS2 (although i am unsure which sensor comes with/works with a multi magnet collar). The dual vr sensor board seems like probably a really good idea. I dont really like the idea of soldering around with my surface mount component 3.57 board, so i hope its not terribly difficult, if thats the route i decide to take.

Let me know what you guys think
hardline
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hardline »

JBPerf's IO Extender is perfectly suited for this, you could use both sensors and average them for speed, and if you have all 4 sensors, implement traction control.
2000 ZX2 : Sequential COP, MS3 + MS3X + TinyIOx, PWM Returnless Fuel, Flex Fuel, Variable Geometry Intake Manifold, Garrett GTX2863R .82AR housing @ 15 psi
Coutsi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Coutsi »

I have this exact problem with my MS3pro digital frequency inputs. I have wired them to read ABS sensor through ABS ECU, but signal is cut around 160kmh. Is there any suitable frequency divider available for this?
Toyota Aristo JZS147
MS3Pro 2JZ-GTE 1127whp @ 2.7bar
gary_808
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by gary_808 »

Coutsi wrote:I have this exact problem with my MS3pro digital frequency inputs. I have wired them to read ABS sensor through ABS ECU, but signal is cut around 160kmh. Is there any suitable frequency divider available for this?
Something like this?

http://www.jaycar.co.uk/Automotive-%26- ... E/p/AA0376
Coutsi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Coutsi »

thanks gary_808 I´ll test that.
Toyota Aristo JZS147
MS3Pro 2JZ-GTE 1127whp @ 2.7bar
Imdominant
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Imdominant »

I just realized i should stop in and mention that i got this working, thanks for all the help!!
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

hardline wrote:JBPerf's IO Extender is perfectly suited for this, you could use both sensors and average them for speed, and if you have all 4 sensors, implement traction control.
Can you explain why you need 4 sensors for traction control. I would think 2 would suffice as you can calculate slip between driven and non driven wheels.
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

Yves wrote:
hardline wrote:JBPerf's IO Extender is perfectly suited for this, you could use both sensors and average them for speed, and if you have all 4 sensors, implement traction control.
Can you explain why you need 4 sensors for traction control. I would think 2 would suffice as you can calculate slip between driven and non driven wheels.
Megasquirt only uses 2 for traction control, driven and non-driven. There's not much documentation I can find about the advantages of hooking up VSS3 and VSS4 and if they'd serve any actual function other than for logging. I could see where averaging the non-driven wheels would provide a better number to compare the driven wheels to while in a tight circle, otherwise traction control would vary depending on which direction you're turning.

Also getting both rear tires would be important if you don't have an LSD, as you could spin the non-monitored wheel and the MS wouldn't know if you're only looking at the other wheel.
LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by LSXCutty »

I would like to do this exact same thing. Can you explain how you set it up and wired it? Thanks