Post-Intall: How to confirm Firing Order

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

DonMaximo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post-Intall: How to confirm Firing Order

Post by DonMaximo »

Ford 302 firing order: 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

I've installed MS3-Pro and the engine will only run if I hold throttle open -AND- she runs terribly. It's so bad, I really don't want to run the engine long. I've double-checked my work.

It almost seems as though I've hosed the firing order and/or ignition timing is extraordinarily poor. Runs VERY rich too - as evidenced by the smoke coming out of tailpipe.
There are no mechanical issues as I don't have these problems with the stock ECU.

I've attempted to use the Test Mode injection test, but the datalog shows no PW. I thought that LogViewer might demonstrate which PW1-->PW8 was firing, but PW=0 in this test mode. I hear the injectors firing, but I cannot tell if ALL are firing -AND- in the correct order.

Is there a way to confirm what firing order is "actually" being employed ??
Is there a way to determine 'if' an injector is not firing at all ?
1992 Mustang Conv,
363" Man-o-War (8.2"Deck), Dart Pro-1,
NA, EFI Victor,
TKO600, 373 gears,
MS3-Pro
Innovate DLG-1 (dual WB O2)
Ignition LS2 coil on plug (Crank trigger+ Explorer cam sensor)
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Post-Intall: How to confirm Firing Order

Post by grom_e30 »

The outputs are always fired in sequence a, b,c and so on so your wiring has to match

Cy1-a, cy3-b, cy7-c and so on
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
DonMaximo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DonMaximo »

grom_e30: Thanks for the quick reply and I always appreciate your feedback.

I'm not beyond cranking up throttle body idling screw to keep the engine running and using an inductance meter to confirm all cylinders are firing. The challenge is that I cannot easily reach most of the fuel injector plugs/lines.
I can only reach cylinders 1, 2, and 5. All others are buried beneath the throttle body and upper intake.

I was just wondering if there is a diagnostic feature with Tuner Studio/Log viewer which could help mitigate the manual effort required to answer this question

If I could bench test my fuel rails/injectors "outside" of the motor, I could slow the simulated RPMs to a point where I could physically confirm firing and order. With these components installed, my options are limited. Time to go 'Old School"

In the absence of additional ideas/suggestions, I'll likely wait until midday during the week to turn up the throttle body screw, suffer the horrendous noise and smoke, and probe for additional information.

As an aside... was thee anything in the datalog which 'stuck out' to you ??

Have a good day.
1992 Mustang Conv,
NA, EFI Victor,
TKO600, 373 gears,
MS3-Pro
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

to confirm the firing order being used, open tuner studio with your ecu connected, then go to basic load settings, engine and sequintail settings tab, and look at the firing order listed there. under the firing order you will see a column of letters a ,b, c, d, e, f, g and h. make sure your firing order 1, 3, 7, 2, 6, 5, 4 and 8 are set up as
a = 1
b = 3
c = 7
d = 2
e = 6
f = 5
g = 4
h = 8.
that will be the firing order used in the injectors and coils.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
hardline
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hardline »

unplug the injectors, and get 194 lightbulbs, bend the wire terminals so they stick out, "plug" them into the injector sockets, and set the test mode to a very slow rpm and high pulse width. You can then watch the pattern that the lightbulbs flash.
2000 ZX2 : Sequential COP, MS3 + MS3X + TinyIOx, PWM Returnless Fuel, Flex Fuel, Variable Geometry Intake Manifold, Garrett GTX2863R .82AR housing @ 15 psi
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

<Blonde mode> Why does he need 194 bulbs to test 8 cylinders? :D

(That's actually clever - thanks for the suggestion!)
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The injector test mode can be used to easily check the wiring, no need for hundreds(?) of light bulbs. When running the outputs will ALWAYS fire in alphabetical sequence A,B,C.....

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
DeadStiff
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DeadStiff »

I think what hardline was suggesting was a 194 lightbulb plugged in place of the injector, not 194 lightbulbs.
MS3+X on 73 Karmann Ghia ignition only with LS2 truck coils firing in sequential, fuel next.
2333(103*70) Type 4 with DTM also sitting in living room just need exhaust.
DonMaximo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DonMaximo »

Gents,

I trust the tuner studio to allow me to set the order. What I wanted to confirm is that all injectors fired... no issues with my solder -or- problems with the pre-existing injector lines.

The 194 bulb "type" idea is actually brilliantly simple and allowed me to put this concern to rest.

If you'd like to see my V8 Christmas tree, look for the file: injector_test.mov at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8ysyp8h5qmez ... 4x-_a?dl=0

You can clearly see all 8 injectors fire and in 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 order.

For those interested, my CAN/bus settings for the Injector Testing are as follows:
Output internal (ms) 500
RPM 240
Injector Testing Mode Sequence
Injector Channel to test InjH (8 cylinder motor)
Pulsewidths (ms) 65
Total number of injections: 65535
1992 Mustang Conv,
NA, EFI Victor,
TKO600, 373 gears,
MS3-Pro
hardline
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hardline »

Unfortunately the firing order is hard coded and is not adjustable.
2000 ZX2 : Sequential COP, MS3 + MS3X + TinyIOx, PWM Returnless Fuel, Flex Fuel, Variable Geometry Intake Manifold, Garrett GTX2863R .82AR housing @ 15 psi