MS3X Ignition Only Initially

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

garrycol
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3X Ignition Only Initially

Post by garrycol »

I am installing a Rover 4.6 in an older landrover and there are a number of various other changes I need to make. When the engine goes into the vehicle I want to work through each part of the project in turn rather than trying to sort a whole bunch of issues at the same time.

As such, I intend to leave the old manifold and carbs that I know that work on the the engine and get the engine running and with am and other bits run in and then put the injection manifold etc on. However as it will not have a dizzy I will need to use the MS3X that is on its way to me to just run the ignition with most likely EDIS8. Then when I put the injection stuff and revised fuel pump etc in have the lot run by the MS3X.

So simply - is there any issue using the MS3X just to run the ignition initially?

Thanks

Garry
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3X Ignition Only Initially

Post by dontz125 »

No problem at all. None of the drivers will object to being disconnected, since they're all ground switching.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

No problems at all. Indeed I reckon it's a good idea to do it in stages. Although more usual to be the other way round - fuel only to start.
Spend some time planning your new loom. So you don't have to start again when you add injection.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
thedrew
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by thedrew »

Thats how I did it.

First was get some sensors working and made sure I had a solid RPM signal as I drove around.

Then switched to ignition, drove that around for a month.

Then pull it apart, swap the manifolds and put the injectors in.

many ways to skin the cat, enjoy the learning process!
VW Turbo Buggy 2276cc MS3X sequential
garrycol
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by garrycol »

Thanks for the information - doing ignition first as I have no dizzy so there is not much point doing fuel if there is no spark - edis at 10 degrees default does not allow a great advance range.

Cheers

garry
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

garrycol wrote:Thanks for the information - doing ignition first as I have no dizzy so there is not much point doing fuel if there is no spark - edis at 10 degrees default does not allow a great advance range.

Cheers

garry
Yes of course. It's just that the vast majority of RV8s that get fitted with MS start out with a distributor. As MS can improve those much more than the later injection/ignition systems.

But you said you had carbs - so how was the existing ignition done?

Which inlet manifold, etc, are you going to use? Early or Thor? If Thor, be good to know how you get on.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
garrycol
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by garrycol »

Replacing the 3.5 (carbs and dizzy) with a 4.6 (no carbs, no dizzy). Temporary move the 3.5 carbs and manifold to the 4.6 - will run but not to full potential - will run the engine and cam in and pass vehicle registration. Then remove the 3.5 carbs and manifold and on with the thor and wire up the injection side of MS3.

I am up against the rego time frame and cannot afford to have an issues at this time with problems getting the engine and vehicle driving so will at least work on the carbs and when the vehicle is re registered I will have 12 months to get the injection side all running and sorted. There are a number of other mods I need to make to the vehicle to make it run on injection such as modify the fuel tank to take the relevant fuel pump.