wb per cylinder and pid ego control

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

wb per cylinder and pid ego control

Post by Yves »

A question about the following : is ms3x capable of controlling the engine based on 8 WB's (one per cyl on a V8) for individual fueling ? I'm asking because I assume it would use up a lot of processor power to do so, but may it's there already.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: wb per cylinder and pid ego control

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Yes it can. Have a look at the manual: http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... 4-122.html (and following pages).

And you will need to use some sort of CAN device to get all those AFR values to the MS3.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Yes it can. Have a look at the manual: http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... 4-122.html (and following pages).

And you will need to use some sort of CAN device to get all those AFR values to the MS3.

Jean
Jean,

I know I need the can device. I assume your tinyiox is suitable for this ?

Already have the 8 WB bungs in the headers so it's saving up for the whole system. Kinda expensive, but hopefully worthwile.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Yes, the TinyIOx would work. You could have 8 Innovate LC1/LC2 connected to the serial port (stereo jack), 8 14point7 SLC OEM modules connected to the I2C bus, or 8 generic WBO2 controllers connected to the ADC inputs. The first 2 options are preferable since you get digital values which are not affected by Vref offset, ground offset or analog noise.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

The plan was for the 14point7's. What's the I2C bus ?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The I2C bus is another type of communication bus that allows you to connect multiple devices using only 2 lines (SCL and SDA which are 2 pins on the TinyIOx CPU).

Jean
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

racingmini_mtl wrote:The I2C bus is another type of communication bus that allows you to connect multiple devices using only 2 lines (SCL and SDA which are 2 pins on the TinyIOx CPU).

Jean
I'm no electronics wizard. Is there a schedule about this. So far I've only connected the 0-5V outputs of an lc1 to ms.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I think the best thing is to post on my forum. These are no longer MS3 or even MS-specific questions.

Jean
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

how much electrical power would 8 WB's draw during use ?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I don't know if this is the same for all WBO2 controllers but with the 14point7 units, you should allow for up to 3A per sensor when the sensor is cold and about 1A per sensor in normal warmed up use.

Jean
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Also, depending on how you feed the SLC-OEM controllers, you have to allow for 50-75 mA each. Doesn't sound like much, but if you try to power them through the Vref line you'll max it out and trip the polyfuse (0.5A).
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

racingmini_mtl wrote:I don't know if this is the same for all WBO2 controllers but with the 14point7 units, you should allow for up to 3A per sensor when the sensor is cold and about 1A per sensor in normal warmed up use.

Jean
Hm, that's a continually 8A :shock:
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Yves wrote:Hm, that's a continually 8A :shock:
That will actually depend on where your sensors are located on the exhaust and it will likely be less (possibly significantly) when running at full power as the exhaust gases will provide a good part of the heating. But you still need to plan for around that.

Jean