Trying to make sense of fuel: accel enrich number

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

93white3400z
Master MS/Extra'er

Trying to make sense of fuel: accel enrich number

Post by 93white3400z »

Hi,

I'm running MS3 1.4 firmware. I'm getting a bit of jerking when cold out during AE. Even fully warm up, it doesn't seems as smooth as I would like it to be. I was looking at my data log and I'm seeing a lot of fuel enrichment that I cannot really understand where it comes from. I have attached my datalog and MSQ to this post and I also added few screenshots as well just for an easy quick look.

In the example (screenshot) below, at 19.4 tpsDOT, fuel: Accel enrich is at 130 (Accel PW at 1.7ms). That is fully warmed up. First, my tpsDOT threshold is at 40 so I'm not sure I understand why it's triggering in the first place, but I'm even more confused by the 130% of fuel. Where does that number comes from ? At 200 tpsDOT, I'm adding 2% (req fuel is at 8.5ms) so that's 0.17ms I believe. At lower tpsDOT, the added PW should be even less than that I would think.

I'm happy to hear what anybody as to say on this as I'm a bit confused by the numbers right now.

Thanks

1993 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
3400 Turbocharged Inter-cooled
MS3 v3.57+MS3X
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Trying to make sense of fuel: accel enrich number

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Maybe not a lot of help but I say slider and greying be damned, I set my map dot threshold to 900 to make sure it is not doing anything when I run 100% tps AE. I also define my lowest point on the table to below my tps threshold level. Your lowest point is 200 but your threshold is 40? So if you go over your 40% threshold it will add undefined until you hit 200% ? I am not the type to assume undefined = 0.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
93white3400z
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93white3400z »

I would think it would interpolate assuming 0 tpsdot = 0% added fuel but maybe I'm wrong. I'm also assuming that 100% TPS AE mean it won't use MAP enrichment at all no matter the others settings. I really hope these two assumptions are correct. Hopefully somebody will chime in with that info :)
MS3 v3.57+MS3X
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

slow_hemi6 wrote:I say slider and greying be damned, I set my map dot threshold to 900 to make sure it is not doing anything when I run 100% tps AE.
Absolutely agreed! In fact, I run mine at 1000 just to be sure!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Marek »

Perhaps you shoould try to think of it as an integral. It's like the area under the graph when the rate of change is mapped per second - the longer the acceleration goes on, the bigger the area under the graph and the bigger the shot of extra fuel.

By setting a threshold amount you stop it cutting in if you stab the throttle hard but very briefly, or if you open up the throttle slowly but consistently over a longer time frame. In the first case you have a tall but thin spike and in the second you have a flat but very wide spike and in neither case do you particularly want extra fuel, but when you are genuinely opening up the throttle, you want a temporary richening up of the mixture because the VE map reflects steady not transient fuelling.

kind regards
Marek
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

93white3400z wrote:I would think it would interpolate assuming 0 tpsdot = 0% added fuel but maybe I'm wrong. I'm also assuming that 100% TPS AE mean it won't use MAP enrichment at all no matter the others settings. I really hope these two assumptions are correct. Hopefully somebody will chime in with that info :)
You could just do what I suggested and see if it works. I mean it does work for me and I battled with the AE for quite some time. If you get no improvement then change it back.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
sd1nl
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by sd1nl »

Problem you have is the following: you have the table upside down. You have the "high" tpsdot values on top of the table, but they should be in the bottom of the table.

This will cause the acceleration enrichment to trigger upside down, meaning high enrichment at low tpsdot and low enrichment at high tpsdot. Completely wrong.

Enter your table the other way round and all your problems will be solved.

Here is an example of a correctly entered table:
image.jpg
Last edited by sd1nl on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rover Vitesse 3.5
MS3 full-sequential
36-1 triggerwheel
Direct coil control
Innovate LC1 wideband lambda sensor
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

sd1nl wrote:Problem you have is the following: you have the table upside down.
Also agreed. Although it may be irrelevant, I also zeroed all of the values on the MAP side before setting the slider to 100% TPS.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
93white3400z
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93white3400z »

Thanks to everyone who shimmed in. Turned out sd1nl was right, somehow everything was backward. Made a world of a difference, numbers makes sense now. Makes me wonder how the numbers ended up reversed at some point but whatever :D Thanks again sd1nl!
MS3 v3.57+MS3X
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

93white3400z wrote:Makes me wonder how the numbers ended up reversed at some point
As I think back on it......... I'm thinking mine were backward out of the box, a long time ago. I do recall that someone here on the forum had to point it out to me back then.

All academic now of course. Glad to see you got it straightened out! :D

Ken