Help with adding Jbperf v2.1 board to 3.57 ms3 for vss

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Imdominant
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Help with adding Jbperf v2.1 board to 3.57 ms3 for vss

Post by Imdominant »

What i have is a ms3 v3.57 main board with ms3x add on. it is running a 5.3l ls engine in full sequential with cop using the factory cam and crank sensors. I am looking to be able to monitor wheel speed (via a built in abs wheel speed/ 2 wire sensor), and driveshaft speed. I have purchased the jbperf v2.1 dual vr conditioner board (internal) and i need someone to tell me specifically where i should connect the V+ (5v source), the GND , and above all where specifically do i connect the OUT1 and OUT2.. I assume i can leave the cam and crank signals alone because the engine now runs great , and i do not wish to disturb those circuits in any way!!

FYI, i am going to run new shielded wires into the case to each of the two sensors , so i have that part handled. Help with the 5V,GND,OUT1 & OUT2 are what i am unsure of. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!
Imdominant
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Help with adding Jbperf v2.1 board to 3.57 ms3 for vss

Post by Imdominant »

Also, can i connect the OUT1 & OUT2 as to not lose any of my input options that are built into the external harness? From what i understand both outputs are 0-5v square wave btw
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

On the main board between the DIP40 and the DB15, just under the BOOT header, you'll find the +5v and GND pads. There are several inputs on the DIP40 that can take a digit VSS signal - ADC7, ADC6, PE0, PE1, JS10, & JS11.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Imdominant
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Imdominant »

OK, thanks!

To be specific, lets say i attach OUT1 from the jbperf v2.1 board to JS5(ADC6) and attach OUT2 to JS4(ADC7) , and of course 5v to the 5v pad on the main board and gnd to the gnd pad on the main board... since the jbperf v2.1 outputs a 0-5v square wave signal (on both OUT1&OUT2) that should be all i have to do and it should work??? i wont lose any of the default functions of the ms3/ms3x? i just want to make final sure before i do it.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

That's it - sometimes it's easy!
TTR Ignition Systems
Imdominant
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Imdominant »

OK i did it and first problem im having is since i set VSS1 as analog (adc6) , i dont have any selection that tells it the number of teeth obviously its only working off of 0-5v... well, my "vehicle speed" in TS is at its maximum (5v) value which happens to be 150 mph.

How can i invert this? reverse the polarity of the wheel sensor?

also it appears to be jumping around a lot. granted im spinning the wheel by hand but its no where near stable..

additionally, what happens if the analog input exceeds the 0-5v??
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The board output is not analog so don't select that option; you need to select 'Digital' and the correct digital input. And the output from the board will never exceed 0-5V.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Set the "Input type" to 'Digital'; as you noted, the MS3 input is receiving a chain of 0-5v square pulses. What the MS3 is now considering is the number of pulses per second; when you enter the number of teeth on the tone ring and the OD of the wheel, it does the math and comes up with the speed.

A 0-5v signal will never exceed 5v, unless something goes seriously wrong ...
TTR Ignition Systems
Imdominant
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Imdominant »

Ahh, well based on the advice given i put both OUT1 and OUT2 to, ADC6(js5) and ADC7(js4) respectively. those are analog inputs exclusively, yes? Ive tried selecting digital and these are not a selection...
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Imdominant wrote:Ahh, well based on the advice given i put both OUT1 and OUT2 to, ADC6(js5) and ADC7(js4) respectively. those are analog inputs exclusively, yes? Ive tried selecting digital and these are not a selection...
I'm not sure if that was always the case but they definitely are available as digital inputs ('JS5 (ADC6)' and 'JS4 (ADC7)') in the latest firmware version (1.4.0).

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Imdominant
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Imdominant »

OH ok i see that now. moved it to digital and tried it, its working on vss1... thanks for the help guys!! ill check back in after i take it down the road , hopefully tomorrow
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Set "VSS1 Input Type" to 'Digital'. Under "Digital Input", select 'JS5 (ADC6)'. Like Jean said, the ADCs will quite happily deal with digital inputs.
TTR Ignition Systems