MS3 Pro crank triggers/wiring issues

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jeffmarsh750
Experienced MS/Extra'er

MS3 Pro crank triggers/wiring issues

Post by jeffmarsh750 »

Some of you know the crank trigger issues I have gone through on motorcycle installs. So this weekend I am doing testing with a router set up like the DIY autotune sensor test. I never could get any wheel with more than 8-1 teeth to work with any sensor. So in testing with the with the router the 8-1 and silver Hall would give up at 12500 rpm. All sensors tested about the same. With a 36-1 it would give up at 2500rpm. a 12 -1 gave up at 7k rpm. My buddy testing all the same stuff with a microsquirt came up with over 15,000 rpm 36-1 wheel and all same sensors.
So I decided to try it on the black ckp- wire and hook the hall signal to this input and low and behold 19,000rpm with any hall sensor and 36-1 wheel. So now I think my harness wires maybe switched but that is not the case. CKP+ is white and #6 pin and black CKP- is pin #15
Could it be possible something is wrong with the ECU ?
Thanks, Jeff
Fastest MS powered vehicle on the planet ! 6.60@208mph
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 Pro crank triggers/wiring issues

Post by Matt Cramer »

Can you post a tooth log of the problem you're getting on CKP+?

There are two possible causes. One is that one edge of the sensor is more stable than the other with your particular wheel / sensor combo; the other is a loose crimp on CKP+/
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jeffmarsh750
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jeffmarsh750 »

After unplugging the white connector, testing and making sure wires were in their proper locations and could carry current I re-installed the connector and it works fine. So, maybe the female pin in the harness. Any way to properly resize or should I just replace pins. Heard there were some issues on the early ones with pins and mine is number 98.Should I just replace the complete harness ?
Thanks.
Fastest MS powered vehicle on the planet ! 6.60@208mph
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The issue usually wasn't with the sizing as much as the pin not being centered in the connector. You may want to crimp on a new pin, if there's any indication the problem comes back.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X