BMW M62 V8 Ignition Options - BIPs or LS Coils...?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

BMW M62 V8 Ignition Options - BIPs or LS Coils...?

Post by Tjabo »

Hello all,

I'm planning out a purchase of an MS3 kit from DIYAutotune (I have an MS3X to install in it), and I'm trying to weigh up my options for ignition.

The BMW M62 has coils on plugs that require ignitors, so my initial thought was to build BIP373 circuits in the lid of the case to be driven from the logic outputs of the MS3X. Then I started to wonder if the pins of the MS3X connector would support the current for that application, and I started wondering if I'd be better off to just try to fabricate some sort of a mount for some LS truck coils and just go that way in lieu of the BIPs and coils on plugs...

I'm hoping some of you might be able to point out some advantages and disadvantages of these options, but here are some that I have thought of so far:

- The BMW COP system is a little bit of a pain to remove for the purpose of changing the plugs, or more importantly to pull the plugs for reading. I'm looking to build a turbo setup for this car, and I spend a lot of time with my otoscope inspecting my plugs when I'm tuning. My last car had a dual overhead cam straight 4 in it, so it took less than 5 minutes to pull the plugs. I'm spoiled. I think the LS coils would make for a quicker deal for pulling plugs? I'm not aware of any down side to running the LS coils other than mounting them?

- The pro for running the BMW coils is just that it would be kind of cool to use the BMW coils just because it would make it more of a plug and play style install. I don't really think I care too much about this though.

Anything you can offer/suggest is appreciated! I'm hoping to order my stuff on Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks in advance,

Thad
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: BMW M62 V8 Ignition Options - BIPs or LS Coils...?

Post by DaveEFI »

I'd build the BIP 373s in a separate box which can be situated in the engine compartment. Much easier than trying to cram them inside the MS case.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Sounds like a great solution DaveEFI, thanks!

That would also keep me from having to adapt the connectors of the LS coils and having to keep the coils out of the way of the downpipe, which will probably have to traverse over the right side valve cover. That would probably mean using longer plug wires on that side, of which I'm not a fan.
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

I think I found a way to mount some Toyota COPs from the 4.7L and a bunch of other engines into 4-cylinder units for each side using a mounting bar for them. Should make for easy removal for spark plug pulling, and no BIPs needed.

Sound good?