Hard cut at 5500 RPM, why?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mostromilano
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Hard cut at 5500 RPM, why?

Post by mostromilano »

Matt Cramer wrote:The tooth logs don't show a cause for loss of sync. Have you tried turning all noise filtering off? How about putting a 10K resistor inline with the sensor on pin 24?

Matt, I tried the 10k resistor on the crank sensor - no joy (see my post from yesterday).

I have not tried turning off the noise filtering - I will try that next. Thanks for the suggestion.

Latest tune attached here for your perusal.
mostromilano
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mostromilano »

Annnnnnd here's another log (just an msl) with noise filtering disabled and still with the 10k resistor inline the crank sensor. Still have that ~5500 RPM wall. WTF?!??
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Have you tried running richer in the VE table? Maybe it is just leaning out until misfire starts. Too rich won't develop max power, but it usually won't cause a "wall".
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

What does the exhaust look like when it hits the wall, any big clouds?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

That MSL file shows no sync loss. Check the timing with a timing light and see if it does anything wierd at 5500 RPM - you may want to run fixed timing for testing purposes here.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
mostromilano
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mostromilano »

STILL suffering through this nonsense, considering selling the car or reverting back to Motronic on this POS. At the instant the car begins to miss, the AFR seems to "LEAN." Also, no resolution on the cam fault as no issues whatsoever are shown on the log that anyone could see. New sensor, wiring checked front to back, shielding verified. It just does NOT want to rev over 5500 or so.

Someone suggested checking dwell settings so I'll be playing around a bit in small increments to experiment.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

The VE values in the last MSQ posted are pretty low, did you ever try increasing those to make the AFR richer?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

If you set the ECU to fixed timing, is the timing steady at 5500 RPM free revving the engine, or do you see any timing scatter or the timing retarding?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
mostromilano
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mostromilano »

I forgot to update this thread.

SO, here's what ended up being the culprit: DWELL SETTINGS FOR COIL PACKS.

I was unaware that the P.O. had wired up the sequential injection but failed to account for this with the spark settings. So, the coils were going into overload protection and/or firing prematurely at right around the same RPM every time. Changed dwell settings, all good. This sucker pulls really hard up to 7200 RPM now, maybe higher but that's all I'm chewing on for now.

Thanks folks.