5.0 tach signal sync issue

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

5.0 Sync Tach Issue

Post by darthmayndawg »

HELLO EVERYONE IM A NOOB and I have been taking on a project of setting up EFI 5.0 into an RX7!!!

I have been breaking my head with how to start my vehicle as I have a job, wife, and kid and other projects to do. I have :
RX7, 5.0 with MS3/MS3x, I am not interested in sequential therefore don't want a toothed wheel or any of that on my vehicle

Distributor- Hall Effect pn 6155101, 3 wired- (red 12v), (shield?), black
MSD6AL2- hooked up to Blaster SS coil and running white/blue hall tach output to pin 36 green tach as it says in 5.0 manual!!!
Injectors as we speak are on MS3x (InjA-G) and can easily be switched back to Batch Inj wires (idk if it makes a difference)

In TunerStudio my CLT and ManiTemp sensors read 60 degrees (correct) my Wideband also works and my TPS works accurately everytime I move it with...
My timing is on Zero...Physically...
It doesn't read any pop-up errors it only reads SYNC ERROR on bottom right of default gauge TS.
When I crank it shows no pulse whatsoever on TS... for me to attach an MSQ or Datalog would be foolish as I can get no reading..

Please HELP ME start my vehicle so I can use this product again as it has been easy up to this point to use...
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

5.0 tach signal sync issue

Post by darthmayndawg »

HELLO EVERYONE IM A NOOB and I have been taking on a project of setting up EFI 5.0 into an RX7!!!

I have been breaking my head with how to start my vehicle as I have a job, wife, and kid and other projects to do. I have :
RX7, 5.0 with MS3/MS3x, I am not interested in sequential therefore don't want a toothed wheel or any of that on my vehicle

Distributor- Hall Effect pn 6155101, 3 wired- (red 12v), (shield?), black
MSD6AL2- hooked up to Blaster SS coil and running white/blue hall tach output to pin 36 green tach as it says in 5.0 manual!!!
Injectors as we speak are on MS3x (InjA-G) and can easily be switched back to Batch Inj wires (idk if it makes a difference)

In TunerStudio my CLT and ManiTemp sensors read 60 degrees (correct) my Wideband also works and my TPS works accurately everytime I move it with...
My timing is on Zero...Physically...
It doesn't read any pop-up errors it only reads SYNC ERROR on bottom right of default gauge TS.
When I crank it shows no pulse whatsoever on TS... for me to attach an MSQ or Datalog would be foolish as I can get no reading..

Please HELP ME start my vehicle so I can use this product again as it has been easy up to this point to use...

I posted this under tuning but decided to post same post under GENERAL MS3 Thank you.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 5.0 Sync Tach Issue

Post by billr »

What's foolish is to refuse providing the MSQ, MSL, and whatever other logs we may request. If you want help, you have to be willing to give serious consideration to our advice, and that is to...
:msq:
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 5.0 tach signal sync issue

Post by billr »

Duplicate post gets a duplicate reply:
:msq:
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

I will attach my file as soon as I get home I am on my way.
I don't have any maps or anything of that nature but I WILL COMPLY.

I meant foolish in-the-fact that I have nothing written, it doesn't REGISTER TACH at all, so me cranking doesn't do much. thanks
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Even though you don't see RPM (yet) the datalog can provide other clues for us to help you.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I'm pretty sure you must have some MSQ to be able to read anything at all in TS. It will be in the folder with that project name, the MSQ being labelled "current tune". You will have to do a "save as" with another name, as I don't think anything with the name "current tune" can't be posted here. As long as the MS ECU and TS are connected, there is something useful to see in the MSL log. Also, a tooth-log will probably be my next request. let us know if you need guidance in how to get that.
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

Here it is sry for the obliviousness
I am at home on mylaptop next to all my gear in case someone wants to help realtime
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

Also as soon as i open new tune ..

It reads "160 errors found would you like to continue?"

Is this normal?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

No not really what you would call normal. It usually happens when you try to load a tune from an older firmware onto a MS running a newer firmware. What firmware is the tune from and what firmware is on your MS? Where did this "New Tune" come from?
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Slow_hemi6, were you able to open that MSQ? I don't have the INI for it, and TS didn't prompt me with an opportunity to get it.
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

Its from what I've been inputting e.g. msd module wiring under megasquirt efi 5.0 MS3/Ms3x

i just turned it on and on TS when i clicked for update "2.6.19 it latest version..."
if that's what you're talking about.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I just forced it with a 1.3.2 ini I had on my hard drive, still got 50 errors so that was not a great match either.

Darthmayndawg, could you also tell me what you are using to get a tach in signal to the MS main connector Pin24? I did not see where you had that in your first post. You are set to Fuel Only but The MS still needs a Tach In signal to work. You cant do a coil- input with a MSD either. You would probably have to use the MSD's own tach out wire that puts out a 12v 20%DC squarewave as best I can remember.
Cheers Luke
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

If i ever did get a tune at all it was from the link on DIY/Auto/MS

it is easy to find (i am not using the piggy back-stock version)
only MS, and it is wired like i said above and i can make quick changes if need be. atm or as online.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

darthmayndawg wrote:Its from what I've been inputting e.g. msd module wiring under megasquirt efi 5.0 MS3/Ms3x

i just turned it on and on TS when i clicked for update "2.6.19 it latest version..."
if that's what you're talking about.
Inputting where? Not google? You have to use the manuals found in the website header link.

You can not use a MSPNP tune on a MS3 with 3x. They are different hardware.
Cheers Luke
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

Yes Sir!!
This is where I've been getting stumped, but to the best of my knowledge, this is the closest I've gotten to figure it out.
In the texts..
Green Tacho out of MS3x Goes to "White" wire from MSD (msd has a white wire (pts trigger) and a hall effect wire blue/white) right now I am using the Blue/White
because dizzy is a Hall Effect. Mallory PN 6155101
In no manual can i find an MSD6AL2 connection with blue/white because manual uses 6AL

Dizzy has a "red" 12v a "Shield" and a "Black"
I have pin24 connected to the shield
pin 1/2 on black ground to dizzy
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

On Tunerstudio, as I turned the controller on.....and i clicked for checkupdate thats what i read
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

The download at that link is for MS2, you need MS3, as said above. I'm not versed in playing with different INI stuff, so will wish you luck and "bow out".
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

I understand that but that's where this problem lies....