5.0 tach signal sync issue

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: 5.0 tach signal sync issue

Post by darthmayndawg »

some moto
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Ok so you have a lot going on and i will try to sketch it out a bit.

Don't worry about the tuner studio update it does that when it needs to, It doesn't change anything and is nearly always backwards compatible with most hardwares.

The MSPNP you linked to is MS2 based and therefore a tune for that or any other MS2 is not going work with MS3/x.

If you do get a 5.0 ms3/x tune from somewhere it could still be from an earlier firmware version of MS3 and you could get a few errors there too. The MS3 itself is totally configurable in so many ways a tune from another guys TFI set up car probably won't even run yours. His tables might be an ok start point but a great many other setting would be different to your car.

Best bet is to start a new Tuner Studio project in my opinion.

Now hardware wise Doesn't the 6al2 instructions show the tach out wire as being grey. That is a signal out from the MSD, 1 x 12v pulse per ignition event. That is what should be used to send a signal to the MS3 on the main connectors Tach in PIN24 (for fuel only). It is harder to find fuel only info as most people do fuel and spark. You have to check your MS3 has been configured to accept this 12v squarewave type of input. It probably is but might need the pots adjusted. Once again the hardware manual for ms3 will show you how it should be set up.

You should read the following.
http://www.msextra.com/forum-info/

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... p-1.4.html

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS3 ... e-1.4.html

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... e-1.4.html

Anything you want to know will be in one of these.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

IN MSD guidelines it says grey wire is for a tach gauge, Im pretty sure.
Also, whenever i start a new project these inputs from the download must have stayed, as I "open new project" i was hoping to default the configurations.

Well If someone can walk me through a step by step to get a tach signal i'd love to hear it.
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

From what I read so far a datalog is required to troubleshoot my tach..so do i just attempt to crank my car for five minutes and record that and post it here?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

It's an output signal wire it doesn't really care whether is hooked up to a gauge, a shift light or an ecu. As long as the device it is supplying has a reasonably high impedance it won't overload the tach out.
Your car will record nothing if you are not sending a signal to the MS?
Cheers Luke
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

I'll find the quotes while i post this.

and yes i just read the grey is output lemme go check it out...

..and nope nothing different
and here is a short data log of me cranking
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

So you have the grey wire from the MSD hooked up to the white wire shown on the diagram connected to PIN 24? and also are you getting spark to the plugs from your MSD?
Cheers Luke
jamies
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jamies »

MS3 5.0 Msq if it helps you.
this was using the std 5.0 TFI distributor, you may need to change the settings if you are not using signature PIP
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

He's running Fuel only with MSD 6al2 doing the spark timing. Changes would be needed.
Cheers Luke
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

Thank you gentlemen!!!
I will be home in six hours and
1. Check for spark out to plugs
2.Verify, Again (but I am sure grey is on White pin 24 right now.)
3. I will try to use that file and apply my spark settings... unless otherwise recommended

I appreciate the help !!
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

If that all checks out you may have to check the board jumpers are correct and adjust the pots as shown in the manual for "Hall / geartooth / logic / optical sensor"

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS3 ... e-1.4.html
Cheers Luke
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

I just changed into new MAP it said there was errors but it didn't give a number.
I am going to attach a SYNC ERROR log hopefully it gives you guys another angle.
I did the spark test according to MSD troubleshooting and my buddy got shocked a bit.
But as I crank I notice the ignition box doesn't provide an LED flash like its supposed to.... ???

Am I messing up somewhere?

I wold like to add as well, to remind everyone that I was using the MS3x Fuel Outputs, Should I switch back to the batch fire wires because I chose FUEL ONLY ??
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

Has anyone heard of using a TACH SIGNAL ADAPTER ????
MSD PN8910

In definition says required for MSD6 module in conjunction with Blaster SS Coil for EFI system to get a signal.
I am speaking with someone now and they are telling me it solved their RPM problem...
but as we all know every problem is case sensitive.
Joeli0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Joeli0 »

I think you can use the MS3X injector outputs as long as youre doing batc firing. I would verify that though. When you are trying to start is your tuner studio showing rpm during cranking?
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

@Jo This is the first time I have gotten a crank signal.
I have been off the forum to make sure I am getting spark where I need it to be.
WHEN I push to start, the RPM Gauge on TS actually moved!!!! It moves only ONCE and it is when I first push my start button..
I removed coil to dizzy wire, and again placed wire/plug to where I can see it arc to a ground when I push start, it is verified again it only sparks when I initially push my button and I only get a signal at that moment.

Help?? Am I getting warmer??
Do dizzys only spark once (at cylinder 1)? hehe

If so, I would need to wire EVERYTHING up again just to try to ignite first cylinder?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I am not confident your msd is actually working right. I would probably be tempted to give it a good spray in the manifold with some aerostart and crank it just to confirm it will catch and try to run on the MSD.
Cheers Luke
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

Been a long time gentlemen, and I can say I am a bit more informed or at least I can be more informative... I have everything on main plug wired as per the diagram minus six wires wires....Four of which are easy but would like input from the community... Two blue wires two green wires, the negatives for the injectors. They were tagged correctly before I took the tape off to put heat shrink on... If blue wires are batch one then all I have to do is get the batch 1 injectors connected by these and same for batch two injectors? Is there a way to make them backwards by mistake?
Then I will be using the MS3x plug because I need the tach wire, is there anything else on fuel only that I NEED from second plug? Many thanks
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CRSTune »

Correct.

For batch fire, it does not matter which is bank 1 or bank 2. The ECU has no cylinder identification to make it matter.
I'm in the VA/DC area! Let me know if I can help you locally! I offer tuning and troubleshooting services.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 37&t=64269
Email me directly at CRSTune@gmail.com

Personal Vehicle:
'92 Nissan 240sx, KA24DET, GT2860RS, MS3X, Coil-on-Plug
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

UPDATE: since my last post I added the toothed wheel and sensor ...
The only wires needed to be installed permanently are the fuel injector wires, which are only four, two blue two green, bank 1 and bank 2.
I need guidance on which wires, are which cylinders, to make what banks...
darthmayndawg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darthmayndawg »

CRSTune wrote:Correct.

For batch fire, it does not matter which is bank 1 or bank 2. The ECU has no cylinder identification to make it matter.
So for a V8 how does the bank 1 and bank 2 get wired?