Tooth angle setup

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Joeli0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Tooth angle setup

Post by Joeli0 »

I am using a 36-1 crank wheel and a single tooth cam trigger for my MS3 setup. I am going through all my initial tests and trying to set my base timing to a fixed value of zero. Once I lock that I plan to set my timing from there. I have full sync very quickly on cranking and my compostie log looks very good. Here is what I did.

Went to ign settings and set to fixed value of 0 and left the tooth angle to 80 deg BTDC. I turned my crank to 80 BTDC and set my tooth directly under the hall sensor on the cam. When I crank it over my spark isnt even close to 0. I read the manual and this is how I read it should be set up. Its on a ford v8. Maybe Im tired and just missing something but can anyone confirm this as a suitable way to set trigger angle? Also does the missing tooth matter relative to the crank sensor at TDC? When I look at the log the cam trigger hits about directly opposite of the missing tooth. Thanks.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Tooth angle setup

Post by billr »

The "Tooth #1 Angle" has nothing to do with the cam sensor. Put the missing-tooth area of the crank wheel under the crank sensor and determine how many (crank) degrees that is BTDC. That is very close to the "Tooth #1 Angle". Then use a timing light to check that whatever MS is specifying for "fixed timing" is what the light shows at the crank; adjust the "Tooth #1 Angle" as required to get MS and the crank/light to agree. After engine can be run, check again all the way up the rpm range to see if timing drifts (usually retards, if anything). As always, posting an MSQ, MSL, and tooth-log CSV will help us help you. I think you need to keep a single-tooth cam sensor/tooth location away from the crank's missing-tooth position; move one or the other.
Joeli0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Joeli0 »

Ok so the way I have the wheel installed is the missing tooth is lined up with TDC. The sensor is approximately 80 degrees BTDC where its mounted. I just counted the wheel as every tooth up and down is 10 degrees. I will try again tonight.
Joeli0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Joeli0 »

Got it. I was just doing the procedure wrong. At TDC with the sensor about 80 degrees clockwise to the pointer i had to follow the degrees all the way clockwise around the wheel to hit the #1 tooth. It was actually in the 270 deg range. Thanks again.
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

Is it possible to use a timing light with the fuel pump disconnected to find the offset?
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

Here is a video I made describing how to set up number one tooth angle. I also have a small block Ford with the same setup you have.
https://youtu.be/PK-nSDAWPm4