MS3x Cam sensor signal on 4.6 Rover v8

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Davecrx
MS/Extra Newbie

MS3x Cam sensor signal on 4.6 Rover v8

Post by Davecrx »

Hi

I better start of with what I am currently running and what I hope to be running soon.
I have a 3.5l Rover V8 running on MS1 extra, Batch firing injectors and ford EDIS for the sprak from a 36-1 trigger wheel on the crank

What I want to be running soon is a 4.6l Rover V8 running on MS3x, sequential injectors and directly controlled spark from the oem wasted spark coil pack (either direct drive or logic via a Quadspark)

I will be keeping the 36-1 trigger wheel on the crank but from what I have been reading I will need a Cam position sensor to run sequential injection.
What I would to confirm (I may have got my wires crossed) is that the MS3x only needs to see one cam trigger event per crank revolution after the missing tooth on the crank trigger wheel, any other cam triggers are ignored.

This is the type on Cam gear that is used on the engine.
As you can see it has 3 large teeth and 1 small tooth. I would appear the first of the lager teeth is the first tooth after TDC.

Would this sort of cam gear be ok to use as a cam trigger or not?

Thanks Dave
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3x Cam sensor signal on 4.6 Rover v8

Post by billr »

I think you are going to have to fill in three of those windows, get it down to just one "tooth". Yeah, you could cut out three of the spokes, but that would leave a pretty weak sprocket.
Davecrx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Davecrx »

billr wrote:I think you are going to have to fill in three of those windows, get it down to just one "tooth". Yeah, you could cut out three of the spokes, but that would leave a pretty weak sprocket.
So I take it the cam input must only see one tooth in order for it to work properly.

I don't think that would be all that hard to do if I were to attach a steel plate to the cam gear with only one cut out in, the sensor would only see one space and one large tooth.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

You could try asking on theV8forum.co.uk. Lots of Rover V8s of all sorts on there and many with Megasquirt. Mine is a 3.5, so I use a modified dizzy to provide the cam signal.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Funny, I was just looking at one of those. I'm assuming no decoder has been written for that pattern.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Peter Florance wrote:Funny, I was just looking at one of those. I'm assuming no decoder has been written for that pattern.
I think that you can use "poll level" and pick the correct tooth to check and it will work.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

jsmcortina wrote:
Peter Florance wrote:Funny, I was just looking at one of those. I'm assuming no decoder has been written for that pattern.
I think that you can use "poll level" and pick the correct tooth to check and it will work.

James
Cool, thanks James.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

As far as I know the last version of the RV8 injection after BMW bought Rover - called Thor, and was Motronic, had sequential injection but stuck with wasted spark. So would have had a cam sensor.
But I've not worked on one, so dunno how it was done.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Davecrx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Davecrx »

DaveEFI wrote:As far as I know the last version of the RV8 injection after BMW bought Rover - called Thor, and was Motronic, had sequential injection but stuck with wasted spark. So would have had a cam sensor.
You are correct but the engine produced just before the Thor engine had a Gems system which Didnt have a dizzy but did have a cam sensor.
I also believe it used the same wasted spark setup but I'm unsure if it used batch or sequential injection
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Davecrx wrote:
DaveEFI wrote:As far as I know the last version of the RV8 injection after BMW bought Rover - called Thor, and was Motronic, had sequential injection but stuck with wasted spark. So would have had a cam sensor.
You are correct but the engine produced just before the Thor engine had a Gems system which Didnt have a dizzy but did have a cam sensor.
I also believe it used the same wasted spark setup but I'm unsure if it used batch or sequential injection
Was this the 4.0 L motor?
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car