MS3X - BMW E46 330Ci

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

AK427
MS/Extra Newbie

MS3X - BMW E46 330Ci

Post by AK427 »

I would like to run dual vanos on my BMW 330Ci. It already runs and the input cam adjustment is working well, but would like know how to use the PT5 input as second cam input for the exhaust cam detection. The manual just indicates it can be done, but doesn't provide any additional info.

The input cam required the pull up resistors. Is there anything else required for using PT5 as cam input?
Just don't want to damage the ecu.

Regards,
Adrian
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3X - BMW E46 330Ci

Post by Matt Cramer »

What sort of sensor is on the second cam - Hall effect, VR, or what?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
hoveringuy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hoveringuy »

PM sent. Both cams are Hall.
AK427
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AK427 »

Correct, it is a Hall effect sensor. Question is related to additional required protective circuit, or direct connection to PT5.

Cam input1 (MS3X-pin32) is shown in the diagrams, but I'm not able to find PT5.

Appreciate your input.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

PT5 is JS10 on the main board and you can run a Hall sensor to it directly as long as the supply voltage is 5V instead of 12V.
AK427
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AK427 »

Thanks Matt. I'll check the output voltage on the sensor.

Out of curiousity I would like to understand why the ms3x cam input requires R11 and R32 to adjust the trigger level, and why this is not required for the second cam sensor.

Adrian
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

as the ms3x cam input is universal it can condition a vr sensor signal ect so the pots are for adjustment
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

AK427 wrote:Thanks Matt. I'll check the output voltage on the sensor.

Out of curiousity I would like to understand why the ms3x cam input requires R11 and R32 to adjust the trigger level, and why this is not required for the second cam sensor.

Adrian
Hall effect cam sensors work with a pretty wide range of adjustments. The trim pots are for VR sensors, which can have more variety in their output.

The other inputs ONLY work for Hall effect sensors and can't be adjusted to work for a wider range of sensors.
AK427
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AK427 »

Thank you for your input. I've got the exhaust cam to work, but a few items remain unclear.

1- In the VVT window there are minimum and maximum values of the cam sensor. The MS3X manual indicates "The minimum absolute angle from the cam sensor determined in test mode". I notice the "test" box, but would like to understand the correct procedure to determine these values.

2- The exhaust cam output signal seems to work differently to the intake. For the intake the output signal is increased to get more advance. For the exhaust cam the output signal is reduced to retard the cam. It seems to work, but I don't understand why. The BMW documentation indicates that activation of the exhaust solenoid retards the cam. I understand this is a vehicle related question, but maybe somebody can tell me what I'm doing wrong. Enclosed the VVT configuration.

3- I've used the datalogger and megalogviewer to check step response reaction of target vs actual position. This works OK, but I wondered if it is possible to show a trend curve of these signals within TunerStudio so you can monitor changes online. This would make the calibration process much easier.

Any feedback on the above is appreciated.

Regards,
Adrian
AK427
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AK427 »

File enclosed
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Start with 0 duty cycle and sweep it up to 100%; note the most and least cam advance you get when testing.
AK427
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AK427 »

Thanks Matt. Hoveringuy provided me his tune, which was a great start, but I would like to verify things myself. Seems like I skipped a step.
I assume i need to exclude the VVT control and watch the cam angle value of intake and exhaust.Will try this weekend.

Regards,
Adrie
AK427
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AK427 »

OK, it took some time, but finally had a look last weekend. I'm still puzzled about the functionality of the min/max values of the VVT cam settings.

The only thing I noticed was that the min value of the intake and max value of the exhaust changed the cam angle indicator value. I've used both these min/max values without cam solenoid activation to zero the "dials". Is there any other use for these values?

The intake max and exhaust min value showed no changes whatsoever. Changed them to rediculous values, but engine worked normal. Are these values really required?

Looking at my data logs, the cams are adjusted following the VVT table, so it all seems to work. But I would like to understand what I'm doing. So if there is anybody out there with additional info, it will be highly appreciated. No BMW knowledge is required. Just some info about these min/max values and their function.

VVT configuration added should someone be interested.

Thanks
Adrian