How is my car running full sequential without the cam sensor

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ohecht
Helpful MS/Extra'er

How is my car running full sequential without the cam sensor

Post by ohecht »

Here's my msq file...I can't understand how I can be running full sequential fuel but then disconnect my cam sensor and have the car start and run normally. Can anyone explain this or see something in my settings that would mean I'm not really running sequential somehow?

Thanks,

Olivier
2016-01-31_14.57.01.msq
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: How is my car running full sequential without the cam se

Post by grom_e30 »

on toothed wheel setup's the engine starts in semi sequential and switches to fully sequential once the engine phase has been determined from the cam sensor it will stay in semi sequential if the cam sensor does not show up. after the ecu has fully synced up and is running sequentially the ecu does not even look for the cam sensor again until sync is lost. my bet is its the same for edis as well.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
ohecht
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ohecht »

That's interesting, thanks...I had no idea it worked that way. Is there a way to confirm it's eventually working in full sequential mode? I've been having some other problems that I thought were sensitive to the cam signal, but now I'm wondering if the real cause has been the car running in semi-sequential all along or fuel timing issues when it does actually get into full sequential...

Olivier
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

There will be an indicator marked "Half sync" and "Full sync" (or something similar) available on the TunerStudio dash. It will run in half sync mode, but the full sync is what it needs for sequential operation.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Is there a status bit or something in a datalog that will show half/full sync?
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

If you call out "Status 1" in your datalog, it will show 8 (RPM Synced) while cranking, then it should add 128 (Full-RPM-Synced) for a total of 136 showing in Status 1 as the engine starts up.
Porsche 930 3.0 Slantnose
MS3/MS3X Sequential Injection & Spark, MS Knock, Dual plug, LS2 coils, Siemens 55 lb/hr HiZ injectors, ALM-ADV Wide Band,
Carrera Intake, Extrude honed, Ford 70mm Throttlebody, GTX3071R Turbo
ohecht
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ohecht »

Thanks all. I added that indicator to my dashboard and looked at Status 1 in my logs...the car runs fully sync'd right from startup with a value of 132 for Status 1 with the cam sensor connected and half sync'd with a value of 8 for Status 1 with the cam sensor disconnected.

On another post here (link below), I'm trying to figure out why the occasional issue I have with what feels like an ignition miss is only noticeable outside of the Tooth Logger when I'm running with the cam sensor connected...it's imperceptible to me while driving in semi-sequential mode. Does that make sense to anyone here?

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 20#p463320

Thanks again.

Olivier
dochka
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dochka »

ohecht wrote:Thanks all. I added that indicator to my dashboard and looked at Status 1 in my logs...the car runs fully sync'd right from startup with a value of 132 for Status 1 with the cam sensor connected and half sync'd with a value of 8 for Status 1 with the cam sensor disconnected.

On another post here (link below), I'm trying to figure out why the occasional issue I have with what feels like an ignition miss is only noticeable outside of the Tooth Logger when I'm running with the cam sensor connected...it's imperceptible to me while driving in semi-sequential mode. Does that make sense to anyone here?

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 20#p463320

Thanks again.

Olivier
Interesting,
I looked up my logs at status 1 and it alters between 8, 9 and 41;
What do these numbers mean ?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

1 = means need burn something in the tune has changed and needs saving.
8 = half rpm sync crank sensor
32 = fuel table switch

they add up so 9 means 1&8 Are active
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
dochka
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dochka »

grom_e30 wrote:1 = means need burn something in the tune has changed and needs saving.
8 = half rpm sync crank sensor
32 = fuel table switch

they add up so 9 means 1&8 Are active
Thank you
Yep, I've read that somewhere in the manuals but forgot :)