shift solenoid

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

shift solenoid

Post by racerron »

I'm trying to set upa trigger for my electrically-operated shift solenoid. I'm planning on using the VVT output wire. Wiring that to a relay which runs to the shift solenoid. On tunerstudio I don't really see where I can set that up. I would think it would be something like a shift light activation. I'm running a ms3x. I was thinking about putting it under the programmable on / off outputs. but I'm not too familiar about setting it up. I know it would have to go on at 7200 RPM and off when it drops below that. it would basically operate like a shift light.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: shift solenoid

Post by dontz125 »

The Sequential Shift function under Advanced Engine includes a Shift Solenoid opinion. Drive the solenoid directly off the desired pin; an interposing relay will cause unpredictable delays and mistiming.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

I see at the bottom of sequential shift cut. Automatic mode shift points. But I can not get this to highlight. I don't want to have a button to activate the shift points just a rpm.
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

is the only way to activate this sequential shift cut is to install a button on the steering wheeland then there's a selection there wonder if you want to put it for a button shift or auto shift?
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

I was just thinking about something I could put a micro switch mounted on a bracket to the throttle body so when I put my foot all the way down it activates the sequential shift cut. the only thing I'm worried about is when I'm at the starting line with the Trans brake activatedI'm also at Full Throttle that will not activate the sequential shift cut will it?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

One of us is missing something. The sequential shift function is for a manual transmission with (oddly enough) a sequential shifter, as found on bikes and some race cars. The function is activated when an upshift is desired, not all the time. A microswitch on the TBs activated at full throttle won't accomplish - or affect - anything. The switch for manual operation would normally be on the shifter; a simple version on a bike would be a button on the handlebar, tripped while the rider loaded the shift pedal.

There is an option to autoshift, triggering as you come up to your specified RPM, typically the max power point. This shouldn't affect the launch system, as launch is generally done at max torque at a lower rpm.
TTR Ignition Systems
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

Ok I understand I was planning on doing the autoshift featureand setting the RPM for like 7200 RPMfor every shift. as far as making the shift cut enabled I would think you have to have some kind of an input to activate the up-shift and that was where I was getting the idea of putting a micro switch on the throttle body so when you go full-throttle similar to a nitrous oxide system it enables that shift cut.
racerron
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by racerron »

so I see what you're saying. For example a motorcycle rider just left the starting line and when the RPM gets to say 7000 RPM when the option is on auto shift the megasquirt will automatically tell the solenoid to activate for the up shift . is that right? or does the motorcycle rider have to hold the button down during his run down the track to activate the autoshift feature? because I understand the manual shift. when the rider presses the button in releases it it goes to the next gear.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

The tooltips and manual aren't completely clear; I *believe* that when AUTO is selected, there is no button input (even though the button input drop-down box is not greyed out), and it shifts automatically at the specified RPM when above the set minimum TPS. When in 'BUTTON' mode, the shift cut and solenoid bump for each push of the button when above the Min RPM and TPS.

I would suggest the .ini and greying-out needs to be tweaked; along with the button input pin selection mentioned above, the Min RPM should be greyed out in AUTO mode. The default / example settings for the per-gear auto settings are all 6000 rpm, while the Min RPM is set to 7000. Which takes precedence? It makes sense to allow the min rpm to override the auto settings. The auto settings are greyed out in BUTTON mode; perhaps the Min RPM setting should be greyed out in AUTO mode.

James - could you please comment?
TTR Ignition Systems
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

dontz125 wrote:The tooltips and manual aren't completely clear; I *believe* that when AUTO is selected, there is no button input (even though the button input drop-down box is not greyed out), and it shifts automatically at the specified RPM when above the set minimum TPS. When in 'BUTTON' mode, the shift cut and solenoid bump for each push of the button when above the Min RPM and TPS.

I would suggest the .ini and greying-out needs to be tweaked; along with the button input pin selection mentioned above, the Min RPM should be greyed out in AUTO mode. The default / example settings for the per-gear auto settings are all 6000 rpm, while the Min RPM is set to 7000. Which takes precedence? It makes sense to allow the min rpm to override the auto settings. The auto settings are greyed out in BUTTON mode; perhaps the Min RPM setting should be greyed out in AUTO mode.

James - could you please comment?
Jumping in on this; I have an installation where the owner wants the button to work as well in case of a missed shift.

Bench testing the Automatic mode; I can't seem to get it to trigger. Button mode works though. I'll upload an msq shortly..
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

You should be able to use the vvt output, I programmed mine to turn on power to the ignition coils, when the engine reaches 5 rpm. that way if I just turn on the ignition switch my coils are not live. But you should be able to tell it to turn on the output to control the shift solenoid at 7200 rpm just set it for on above 7200 rpm and when it shifts the engine rpm drop will reset it(by turning off the output) . I would recommend putting a toggle switch in the line to disable it if you want or need to, otherwise it might try to shift you into gear when you rev it up with no engine load......
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Thanks. In the end I figured out the gear position sensor wiring. Still need to test, but I can read gears N-6

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.