2jzge MS3x misfire

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

4agetercel
MS/Extra Newbie

2jzge MS3x misfire

Post by 4agetercel »

I've been chasing an issue for a year now with my car, under load it misfires around 6300rpm in 3rd gear, in fourth it misfires sooner ,in fifth even sooner. it gets worse with more load. cruising around its fine and theres a little bit of jam, but by the time you're in 5th it misfires at 4800 rpm. if i accelerate lightly it'll rev out higher, and if I'm just sitting there it smack rev limiter no issue, data logs show it steadily leaning out till it starts bucking, adding fuel seems to make it worse.

Has anyone had any issues running a 2jzge on only a vvti 36-2 crank trigger on semi sequential with gm lq9 truck coils?
a friend has a near identical setup minus the coils and it ran great, wired them identical. only difference is that he was running fully sequential as his engine had a cam sensor

I've replace pretty well every component on the engine.

running:
lq9 coils
id1000
is300 crank trigger
2 bosch 044 in tank with -8 feed

I've replaced, with known working parts:
coils
crank pickup
ecu
fuel pressure is holding under boost

pic for attention

RuneDK
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: 2jzge MS3x misfire

Post by RuneDK »

:msq:
4agetercel
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 4agetercel »

I know it's been a few years. But it's been resolved. The "ecu ground" wire on the coil was what was causing the issue. Ever since this has happened I only ever connect the 3 wires on these gm coils (d585). Power, ground and trigger from he ecu to fire. Datalogs would have been conpletely useless in diagnosing this issue

Also I'm using a gte 12 tooth crank wheel now and we drilled a hole in the head for the cam pickup to run fully sequential now
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Thank you for coming back and posting up when you found the solution, as this is a rather unusual issue and it may be useful for others. Where exactly did you have the ECU ground wire grounded?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
4agetercel
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 4agetercel »

If you look up the gm coil wiring on diys site, there's a pinout they provide and the 4th wire whihh i don't use anymore the label as an "ecu ground". I have the actual ecu grounded to the head
4agetercel
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 4agetercel »

Don't misunderstand my last post as I had the ecu grounded through the coils. I didn't. It was grounded to the head the entire time. I just had black wires going to that's 4th pin on the coils which I cut off and put where the rest of the grounds were on the head