Lost Sync Reason 2

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kizzoalfa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Lost Sync Reason 2

Post by kizzoalfa »

HI,

I never run into an issue like this, so I would have the experts help. Since 2 days I had 3 sync errors, what I could reproduce this night with T log running.

The lost sync counter was set to 1 and the reason code is 2. (Was 2 as well on the previous days.)

The engine has no problems by reving to higher RPM, and had no issues with sync before.

Before I go to any troubleshooting I would have your help by understanding the composite log. (I have checked harness, connection, seems OK, no changes were done in the car in the last days which could lead to sync losses.)

The below picture was taken from a LOG where sync losses can be seen:
Composite log.jpg
I also attached the full composite log. The issue can be seen at around record 294.

I would have your help by looking into the log, as for me it is not visible what the MS3 could not capture from the VR sensor after signal conditioning. I guess the issue must happen in time before the non sync spikes arrived.

Thank your for your help,

Zoltan
---------------------------------------------------------------
Alfa Romeo 75 2.0, Supercharged by Eaton M45, MS3
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Lost Sync Reason 2

Post by grom_e30 »

its on page no: 294. its a really short noise pulse

1.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 0.458 599705.2 tooth
1.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 0.005 599705.2 noise
1.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 0.469 599705.7 tooth
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
kizzoalfa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by kizzoalfa »

Hi,

thank you for the help. This means that there is no tooth time due to some noise which eliminated the VR signal?

Does anybody had something like this? It is a radiated or conductive noise? I never has something like this. By looking into the VR

circuit it can come over VCC as well.

I think the sensor can be excluded as this is caused by some noise than?

Does it normal, that the graphical log show it however there is no real signal which should be showed with positive amplitude?

Thanks,

Zoltan
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

you are getting a phantom extra tooth it does not show it on the display as it happens so close to the previous tooth. maybe check the pots are all adjusted up.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
kizzoalfa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by kizzoalfa »

Hi,

do you have a recommendation with the pots, which and where to go (turn)? (It was set in 2011 and running wo issues.)

I understand theoretically how it works but in reality may there is a golden rule to turn 1 CW / CCW maximum until...

In my log I checked that the cam teeth is also wandering by some 1 VR teeth. This can be due to the VR signal instability?

Sometimes it has 3 teeth after cam before missing teeth on VR arrive sometimes just on edge of the 2nd.

Also, does not have any feature to allow teeth errors in the current cycle as the next will be fine to avoid resets like I have?

Thank you very much,

Zoltan
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

what type of sensor is it? hall or vr?
kizzoalfa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by kizzoalfa »

Hi

it is VR type. Currently what I have done is that I enabled the noise filtering, to catch and ignore spikes below 100us as with your help I can see that these are 5us spikes.

Thanks,

Zoltan
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

iv not had to use the noise filtering before so cant help there, vr are usually pretty easy just set both pots full ccw
kizzoalfa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by kizzoalfa »

HI,

I will see, the pots are set originally (did not change them). Let you know the results with noise filtering.

Anybody has experience with it?

Thanks,

Zoltan