MS3X - Car wont stay running - Log Attached

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Joeli0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3X - Car wont stay running - Log Attached

Post by Joeli0 »

Hello all. I had my car running fine this winter with my new MS3X install. I pulled the engine down (ford 351w) for a cam upgrade. When I put it together and tried to start it it will fine initially then surge and die out. I crank it and it fires again, same thing, surge and die. It ran perfect before I took it apart. Not sure if I am losing sync of missing something here. I attached the log. Any help would be great!

DIY 36-1 8 in crank wheel with DIY Hall sensor
SIngle tooth cam sensor with DIY hall sensor
CNP LS Truck coils
Sequential fire
Joeli0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3X - Car wont stay running - Log Attached

Post by Joeli0 »

If I understand right the engine fire on batch then switches to sequencial? So what happens when I put my timing light on 1st plug wire is it fire off initally then stop spark when the engine died. All coils test out fine with output tests. Not sure how quick it changes to sequencial but it seems like maybe at that transition is when it dies?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Post the MSQ, too.
Joeli0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Joeli0 »

I will get the msq up tonight. Looking at it tonight i think my problem lies in the O2 sensor or input. The dash in tuner studio it showing afrs at 10 or below but before it would always match the MTX on the dash even if the car wasnt running. So i guess in theory it would be pulling a ton of fuel because it thinks its pig rich?

Joeli0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Joeli0 »

MSQ Attached. Car runs for about 3 to 4 seconds then wants to die, Same thing for Sequential or Waste Spark COP.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Open the throttle-stop a bit, it looks like MAP is dropping too much after starting. Are the plugs getting very black? I'm thinking it may be too lean.
Joeli0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Joeli0 »

By throttle stop you mean open my throttle blades a little in the resting position? Thanks.

billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Yes, or just hold the throttle open a bit using the throttle pedal. Just be sure you aren't opening the throttle enough to invoke "flood clear".
Joeli0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Joeli0 »

So I did some more testing today. I had charged the battery on the car since it had been a while. Without doing anything to the car except adding fuel on the VE table i was able to keep it running and use the WUE tuning to smooth it out. After it got up into the 150 CLT areanit started running like crap again. I didnt have a chance to check my voltage and I have a big Electric fuel pump drawing on it. Then i also noticed my computer losing connection to the MS3 when the engine was cranking. I think im dealing with a low battery doing strange things so I have it charging now and am gonna test tmrw.

Joeli0
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Joeli0 »

I figured it out. It was a few things. Battery voltage, a little bit a tuning error but the big thing was my crank teeth we out of round some and it would throw up errors in the log after it was running. When I would check for cam sync while cranking it was fine. Thanks again for assistance.