Need some help with log file

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Need some help with log file

Post by hobieboy »

Hi,
I have re-done the entire harness of my system since I suspect grounding might have been the culprit to my "high load high RPM miss" problem. So back to square 1 wrt installation goes.
I have 2 questions about interpreting the log that I'd like some help:

1) In the composite log file, I am missing the CAM sensor signal. Does it mean that MS is NOT seeing it? Can I confirm from the data log file (what field do I need to look at)?

2) I am using Jean's EGT/IO_Extender board that has 6 EGT circuits plus 2 standard DAC to measure EGT. EGT 4 is not hooked up (wired busted). I suspect #3 & #6 may be questionable. But, for the other 3, there seems to be synchronized "drop outs" of readings. Should I read that as problem with actual EGT or something wrong with my CAN/EGT board set up that causes this?

thanks!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Need some help with log file

Post by billr »

Indeed, if it isn't logging the cam in the comp, then it isn't seeing it. I don't think there is anything in the run log (MSL) to look for, but if you take a log with the ignition trigger settings at "log crank and cam" then I think you will see the "raw data". The engine won't run, as there will be no attempt to decode the crank and cam signals, just capture and display them.
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

Is there a status field that shows if the engine is in full-sync (crank & CAM) vs just crank signal? Thought I came across that somewhere?

Where do I go to select the "log crank and cam" option? Is it under Trigger Logging?

thanks.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

status1 half sync crank sensor only = 8 full sync crank and cam = 136
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

grom_e30 wrote:status1 half sync crank sensor only = 8 full sync crank and cam = 136
Great thanks!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

"Log crank/cam" is in the "spark mode" selections of "ignition options/wheel decoder", under "ignition settings" tab of TS.
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

Thanks for pointing out the ignition log option Bill. Learn something new everyday.

I decided to scope the Hall sensor directly to be sure as it was working 2 days ago when I first connect everything. Only to find out that the sensor somehow went dead overnight.
1 step forward 2 steps back unfortunately. Ordered new sensor & waiting again now :(