Audi 2.ol turbo sync loss issue HELP!!!!!

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

darkstar42
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Audi 2.ol turbo sync loss issue HELP!!!!!

Post by darkstar42 »

Ok so this Audi is running MS3-pro firmwear 1.4.1

problem: rev to 2300ish rpms and feels like rev limit is on---classic sync loss symptom

Crank sensor-- VR 60-2 Cam sensor-- Hall style 1 window/slot (whatever you want to call it)
i have tried everything i can think of, i'll try to list some things i did/ noticed

cam sensor
signal clean on scope
trigger log in real time was showing a bar droping but when i open the log i have a handful of bars and then it flat lines and i have what appears to be super short bars
i noticed that in the composit log that the crank and cam pulse were just about at the same time, so i spun the cam trigger wheel like 90degrees, read in another post that the 2 can't be at the same time.
crank sensor
signal clean on scope
i'm seeing 25v on both side of the 0 line but can't go past 2300rpm so no idea if its going to get crazy at high revs
i have done a whole bunch more, and this car has a long story so lets start with this. heres some data.....
darkstar42
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Audi 2.ol turbo sync loss issue HELP!!!!!

Post by darkstar42 »

i tried attaching the composit log but it said the file was too big so i'll make another and get it posted
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

what ecu?

edit: ps3 pro try a shunt resistor across the crank sensor vr wires 10k maybe
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
darkstar42
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darkstar42 »

I installed the 10k shunt......and now it will rev, i still feel a little spot around 2100 or so rpms.....not sure i call it solved but way way better. its kind of funny because i have tried every thing by the book but i didn't do the shunt because it seem to have cam sensor problems, got the cam signal squeaky clean and still had issues i even put a scope on the ckp just to make sure it was clean, even swapped the wires around, i scoped 2 other cars that were completely stock just to verify the signal.

i attached the data log w/shunt along with a composite log w/shunt

the other composite log is before the shunt but i noticed that when watching this log live the sync line would blip but when you viewed the saved log the blips of the sync line was not there.......thought that was weird......i also noticed that before the shunt the loss sync reason was 2 missing pulse at the wrong time.....i'm going to stare at logs and do some tuning and see if i can get rid of this stumble that i still feel.......but like i said wwwwwwwaaaaaayyyyyyyy better

THANKS ALOT!!!!
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

yeah the new data log does not show it losing sync around 2100 so your stumble may be more of a tuning thing. there is a bit of sync loss as you hit the rev limiter at 7200rpm if it is a problem you could try a slightly higher value resistor.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
darkstar42
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darkstar42 »

Thanks again for the help. i would love to tell the whole story but "ain't nobody got time for that" i'll just say it has gone through 2 owners with ms3x i battled the ms3x and then went ms3-pro, and i can say i'm getting it nailed down, i think i could of got the ms3x working but patience is the key, i've have this thing with getting everyone stubborn ms problem cars, i think i'm up to around 15 (all makes of the megasquirt), at the end of the day i get them working, i'll never say how long it takes sometimes...i don't get paid enought and that i will say. when i took on this project it was making 263hp to the wheels, had it to 542whp on 25psi by the time i installed the ms3-pro maybe i'll see 650!!!! i'll keep you posted.
vw_chuck
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by vw_chuck »

IS this the audi direct injection engine? That is the only 2.0l audi engine I know of.