MS3X skip pulses problem!

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

MS3X skip pulses problem!

Post by PUMPISH »

Hi
I run ms3x cop vag 115 cols, inline six.

I have issues with ignition skip pulses.

it does not matter what what I choose for number setting, 2 , 6 or maximum 10, the engine starts immediately after the first lap.

Any ides?

Thanks /Roman
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: MS3X skip pulses problem!

Post by jsmcortina »

:msq:
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

What trigger pattern are you using? On a 60-2 wheel, 10 skip pulses is only 60 degrees of crank rotation.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Matt Cramer wrote:What trigger pattern are you using? On a 60-2 wheel, 10 skip pulses is only 60 degrees of crank rotation.
I thought the "pulses" were counts of the missing tooth and/or cam sensor? 60º of crankshaft rotation (in even best case scenario) wouldn't reliably let the MegaSquirt know enough to know what injector/coil (pair) to trigger for start up since it wouldn't be very hard to go 60º of rotation without a missing tooth crossing the crank sensor.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I believe it skips individual pulses of the sensor, and once the number of pulses has been received, it then tries to establish sync (in the case of a 60-2, by looking for the missing tooth). So 10 skip pulses will delay looking for the missing teeth by 60 crank degrees. Still enough to avoid most random noise.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Ah, I could see that.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

The delay is to allow the starter to actually start turning the engine over; the first few teeth are obviously going to be enormously slower than the next many, even if the engine isn't anywhere near full cranking speed yet.

Also - why would you consider the engine starting on the first revolution to be a problem? OEMs spend $$Brazillians to accomplish this reliably ...
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems