Reset - help please

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Reset - help please

Post by Matt Cramer »

A real reset will show up in two ways in the data log:

1. SecL will drop to zero.
2. You will see a red vertical line. Going directly to this line, MegaLogViewer will display something like "MARK 001 RESET" or something similar. If you do not see RESET in all caps, it's something else. For example, the marks in your data log say "Going Offline".

So what you have is not related to resets. Trying to follow the troubleshooting procedure for a reset will likely send you on a lot of wild goose chases.

The O2 trace is flat enough that I have to wonder if the O2 sensor is returning good data. What sort of wideband are you using?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the reply. Good to know that I shouldn't chase my tail about MS reset in this case.

I am using 14point7's Spartan 2 WBO2. I wired it so that during cranking, there is no power to the WBO2 unit (I was using Innovate LM-1 before & that is what that unit requires) so you can see that when secL=12 sec, AFR reads 13.4 for ~5 sec then 16.2 for another 4 until secL=23 then the reading drops to 12.2. I didn't recalibrate the WBO2 again after re-wiring the whole set up so the reading may be a little off.

I had been suspecting that may be it is related to ground issue from ignition? Is there any tricks to confirm if that is the root cause?

thanks!
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

I made some good progress... replaced the spark plugs & separated MS power wires from ignition power wires. No more resets now.
But... still can't make the car to stay alive once it is somewhat warmed up. I attached one of the craziest log that summarizes the current issue -

Once the car is not stone cold, it will not stay alive or idle unless I keep throttle open somewhat. And when I do that, the car will first buckle, catches then go into a wild RPM up / down cycle as shown in the log. I noticed AFR also follow the cycle but can use some help to determine if this is a tune issue or I have another hardware problem.

I had been adjusting the tune (lean out some VE entries, dial back ignition timing, make WUE stay on longer & higher) even though this was the tune that used to work.

Really appreciate some input on whether I missed something that the log file is telling me...

thanks!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

This mostly seems to be a couple of lean cells in the VE table - but you will want to tune the engine fully warmed up first, then come back to correct the warmup settings.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X