Erratic afr gauge behavior in tunerstudio

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

joeblack
MS/Extra Newbie

Erratic afr gauge behavior in tunerstudio

Post by joeblack »

Good afternoon i'm having this strange problem since the upgrade from ms2 to ms3. I'm using an AEM gauge type wideband model 30-4100 connected to my MS. On the AFR gauge in tunerstudio i'm getting an erratic reading where the needle is jumping all over the place but on the physical gauge the readings are fine,when i had the MS2 installed everything was working correct only thing which was changed was the MS2 was removed and MS3 installed,i have calibrated the wideband within tunerstudio but with no success,i even did a datalog and got the same erratic readings within the log,i have attached a copy of my MSQ which is a work in progress so any help will be greatly appreciated.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Erratic afr gauge behavior in tunerstudio

Post by billr »

You have the O2 sensor type set as "disabled". I'm wondering if MS can handle not knowing if it is a WB or NB sensor there? Try "disabling" it by setting the "authority" to zero, instead.
joeblack
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by joeblack »

Ok will check it in the morning
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Note that you can set the EGO control to something like "off" or "disabled", no need to fuss with the authority. I was kind of wingin' it from memory there...
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

If its anything like MSPNPv2 I had to install as a custom gauge and insert cal factors plus install extra ground near gauge as well by EMS to get stable readings. Don't ask me why but this was the only way I could get TS correctly working with wideband (Innovate MXL).

jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

a couple of things, how old are your plugs, are you having a misfire, did you set the smoothing factor on the o2 channel? I was having erratic readings and found that I had a bad spark plug... the set was only 3 weeks old. needle bounced all over in tuner studio.. changed plugs and added a little smoothing no needle bouncing. its worth checking.
Good Luck
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

I'm due for a plug change so will check. Fact is though when I grounded to an additional point in dash the noise decreased. Confirmed this with a VOM.

Where is this smoothing O2 factor??
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

go to general settings tab and in the bottom left corner, general sensor settings and go to lamda averaging lag factor. remember that 100 is pure signal and that 10 is fullys smoothed.... I would try about 80 and see if that helps. you can always go up or down to improve it if needed. Change the plugs first... might not need anything after that....
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
joeblack
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by joeblack »

Got the problem solved guys,had to go to ego control and enable it thanks