AF Ratio going out of range lean

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jleilich
Helpful MS/Extra'er

AF Ratio going out of range lean

Post by jleilich »

I was driving back from a weekend car show and noticed my AF ratio went lean out of range. The sensor seems to operate properly as it reads ok before start up but then goes all the way out of range once the car is started. Not sure whats up or where to look. It was working fine on the way down to the show on Thursday so something happened?

Here is a log of the car starting also of note, the idle is odd, it will idle but keeps dropping in RPM then returning to the previous RPM. This log included as well.
1970 Cuda 440. MS3X
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: AF Ratio going out of range lean

Post by hobieboy »

Didi you do some easy checks like power to the WBO2 sensor after engine is running?
Have you tried richening up idle area VE? Does it move the AFR reading at all?
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Looks like your alternator died. Look at the Batt V.
jleilich
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jleilich »

I was fooling with it yesterday and as I was letting off the gas a few times the AFR would go back to a reasonable level on occasion. Unfortunately I wasnt running a log at the time. I may try to replicate it again and get a log.
1970 Cuda 440. MS3X
mlynch
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mlynch »

Just curious, I notice that you have not Selected or Calibrated your EGO Sensor in the "CALIBRATE AFR TABLE" Menu. I believe that you have got to specify the type of sensor that you are using and calibrate accordingly, before you will get usable EGO readings.
Michael Lynch
1982 FIAT Spider Perpetual Project
1985 El Camino SS (EFI Conversion TPI)
1982 HONDA CBX EFI Conversion (In Progress)
"If everyone is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking" - General George S. Patton
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

The OP has selected WB in the Fuel menu, and I think the cals are always "lost" to TS once written to the ECU and TS closed. (My project never comes up with the WB cal in TS when the project is re-opened.)
mlynch
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mlynch »

billr wrote:The OP has selected WB in the Fuel menu, and I think the cals are always "lost" to TS once written to the ECU and TS closed. (My project never comes up with the WB cal in TS when the project is re-opened.)
Billr, OK, that makes sense. It just looked strange.
Michael Lynch
1982 FIAT Spider Perpetual Project
1985 El Camino SS (EFI Conversion TPI)
1982 HONDA CBX EFI Conversion (In Progress)
"If everyone is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking" - General George S. Patton
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I encourage so to continue pointing out things that "look strange". That's how you (and I) learn. Sometimes such an observation, even though it may be in error, triggers thinking or discussion that does solve a real problem.