MS3-Pro Car stalled, ECU no longer connecting after fw 1.4.0

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jamie_John
MS/Extra Newbie

MS3-Pro Car stalled, ECU no longer connecting after fw 1.4.0

Post by Jamie_John »

Hello everyone, I need some help today with my Ms3 Pro plug and play setup, I think something has gone wrong with my firmware upgrade.

I have an MS3 Pro plug and play ECU for the 2JZGTE non vvti installed in my car. Today I tried to reflash to the latest firmware version 1.4.0. The ECU powered up after the firmware upgrade, when I opened tuner studio it told me there were some parameters changed which I had read in the release notes, so I pressed ok and kept my tuner studio project settings and sensor calibrations. I started the car up and it ran fine from cold start up until about 139 degrees, at the time I was working on my ASE and WUE curves and I was getting along with that, then all of a sudden for no explainable reason the car shut off and the logs abruptly end, the ecu disconnected and I can't get it to reconnect to the laptop, and the car wont start. The ECU is getting power, I verified with a Dvom back-probed into the ecu connector, voltage present with the key on but the ECU wont turn on or connect to the laptop anymore. I tried loading the firmware again and the loader says "No valid ports or ECUS found. Cannot load firmware without communications." I've come really far with my ECU troubleshooting knowledge but this specific problem I don't know how to fix. What can I do to get back on track with the new firmware? What caused the car to shut off and the ecu to brick itself? Please see my MSQ file. Thank you for the help.

This is my ecu: https://www.diyautotune.com/product/meg ... ual-trans/

Tuner Studio Version: v2.6.14 ; Firmware: 1.4.0.
Firmware-1.4.0-2016-06-02_13.25.57.msq
I tried to add the datalog also but it says its too big to upload, so here is a snapshot of where everything stops abruptly.
Firmware log june.02.2016.jpg
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3-Pro Car stalled, ECU no longer connecting after fw 1

Post by elutionsdesign »

There are two internal fuses on the main board, have you checked those?
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Jamie_John
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jamie_John »

elutionsdesign wrote:There are two internal fuses on the main board, have you checked those?
I opened up my ECU to have a look, no fuses that I can see. I took a photo of the inside.
IMG_9805 1.jpg
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

On the top edge of the blue card in your picture, slightly right of the aluminum bracket, are two small white-ish rectangles. Those are the fuses in sockets.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Jamie_John
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jamie_John »

dontz125 wrote:On the top edge of the blue card in your picture, slightly right of the aluminum bracket, are two small white-ish rectangles. Those are the fuses in sockets.
Thank you for that information. Ok so I tested those 2 fuses and the one on the right has continuity and the one on the left does not. So there is potentially a blown fuse, but what could have caused this fuse to blow, and how can I replace it? Was it a bug with my firmware upgrade?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

DIY sells the replacement fuses, for the same price as the electronics distributors.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Jamie_John
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jamie_John »

dontz125 wrote:DIY sells the replacement fuses, for the same price as the electronics distributors.
Thank you for the link, I will purchase some extras now. My next question would be why would this fuse blow so suddenly? And do I have a larger problem I need to be looking for since one of the mainboards fuses has blown? I assume once I replace the fuse I will be able to connect back to tuner studio, is it a good idea once I get the ECU back online that I try to reload the firmware another time? What should my next step be after replacing the fuse? Thanks a lot for your help with this.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The MAF and TPS are both powered from the VREF. Usually a short on the VREF would be the most likely suspect, although it is possible for a short on the IAC valve to blow the fuse too.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Jamie_John
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jamie_John »

Matt Cramer wrote:The MAF and TPS are both powered from the VREF. Usually a short on the VREF would be the most likely suspect, although it is possible for a short on the IAC valve to blow the fuse too.
Thanks for the info Matt, I will check over my wiring and look for trouble spots. Its funny you mention the IAC valve because after doing the firmware upgrade I heard it buzz when I turned the key on, it hadn't done that prior, and it did it every time I turned the key on, I didn't think this was a problem because I had also played around with the closed loop graphs and homing direction and figured hey maybe I got it working right now. The valve behaved well on start up and the car cold started nicely and ran well for a while, a bit rich, then the ecu shut off. I also have been diagnosing sync loss errors 11 & 17 prior to the firmware upgrade, I've added a 10k resistor to my g2 cam signal wire and it helped with the noise on that signal but still have sync error 11, could this have any correlation to the problems I'm experiencing? There is also an ABS drive-line sensor I have wired up to the ECU but have yet to test its function. Just trying to see if its maybe something I have done while adding different circuits to the ecu or something the firmware turned on that might be wired incorrectly? Things I can rule out possibly. I will look over the wiring and post my findings. Thanks a lot.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Sync errors will not cause it to pop a fuse, but it will help me get the problem fixed if you can post a composite log.

Try disconnecting the IAC valve and see if that prevents it from blowing fuses.
Jamie_John
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jamie_John »

Matt Cramer wrote:Sync errors will not cause it to pop a fuse, but it will help me get the problem fixed if you can post a composite log.

Try disconnecting the IAC valve and see if that prevents it from blowing fuses.
Ok Matt, I ordered some new fuses so when I get my ecu back up and running I'll post a composite log and unplug the IAC for testing. Something I was also wondering about the ECU and my wiring is where I should be grounding the wiring harness and sensors? My 2jz harness has 2 looms of ground wires that come out of it and I have them grounded to the block at the moment, where is the correct location to ground the wiring harness and sensor grounds? The body or the block? I wonder if this could be a potential reason for the fuse going out. Thoughts?
Jamie_John
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jamie_John »

So today I got my fuses so I reassembled my ECU and put it back in my car. I was able to get tuner studio to reconnect and I went to check my settings. I discovered that my IAC valve was set to "always on" and I believe it should be set to "moving only" so I changed the setting to moving only before trying to start the car again. Maybe this is what blew the fuse the first time around. With that corrected I went on to start the car to do further testing, it seemingly cold started OK but quickly started running rich in the 9s on the AFR scale so I tried adjusting my after-start enrichment to provide less fuel and it did not seem to help or make a difference, so I shut it down to look more closely at the settings, the car had been running ok prior to the new firmware with good AFRS during warm up and even the last time before the fuse blew everything appeared to be running smooth and normal so I'm a little confused with what could have changed since the firmware upgrade / blowing the fuse. When I turned the ignition switch back to On to try to start the car again I heard my fuel pump prime again, my injectors start clicking at random and it shot a backfire out of the exhaust even before bumping the starter. But I started the car again anyways to record the logs, and it ran rich again, I logged everything I could to upload here, a copy of my .msq, a data log and a composite logger because I also still see errors 11&17 in my logs. I found the backfiring situation to be a bit concerning so I dont want to continue testing until I understand what is going wrong and causing the abrupt backfires and super rich idling. Its repeatable almost every time the key is turned to on also, every second attempt it will backfire. What should I be looking at to possibly remedy the backfires and rich idling? Is it something with the new firmware? Is it because I I loaded my previous project and settings into Tuner studio while using the new firmware, and my tune that was set up using the old firmware? What should be my next step? I also wonder if my engines grounds are all in the correct place, is there a preference for grounding locations with the MS3PRO? Thank you very much for your help. Please see my logs and MSQ below.
2016-06-20_18.07.41-backfire.msq
2016-06-20_17.59.17.msl
2016-06-20_17.58.52.csv
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I don't know for sure about the Pro, but my MS3 loaded the new FW with no problem, and accepted an old tune with no problem. I would expect the Pro would just a friendly.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

billr wrote:I don't know for sure about the Pro, but my MS3 loaded the new FW with no problem, and accepted an old tune with no problem. I would expect the Pro would just a friendly.
I'd try that too - going back to a tune from before the problem started is often the first thing I'd recommend trying.