Quadspark - Odd shorting behavior when mounted to firewall

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Lurker27
MS/Extra Newbie

Quadspark - Odd shorting behavior when mounted to firewall

Post by Lurker27 »

Quick Question - I'm running MS3X out to a quadspark, out to an IGN-6 coil pack (All from DIYAutotune).

With the quadspark sitting on the valve cover, everything is fine and runs smoothly.

With the quadspark mounted to the firewall, I get chugging/misfiring behavior - the car will barely run and is on 4/6 cylinders at best.

What's up with that? Is the heatsink electrically conductive to something inside the case? We did drill out the mounting holes on the heatsink to use bigger self tapping screws to keep it attached, but we'd rather not have it flopping about in the engine bay. The only other thing I can think of is that I need to trace each wire and make sure I'm not getting any external shorts, but I was curious if anyone's ever had this problem.

Obviously no msq needed because it runs fine with the quadspark in nonideal position.

Ryan
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Quadspark - Odd shorting behavior when mounted to firewa

Post by elutionsdesign »

Use an ohm meter to test continuity between your inputs/outputs/grounds and the heatsink to isolate which circuit is causing the problem.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Quadspark - Odd shorting behavior when mounted to firewa

Post by Matt Cramer »

The heat sink should not be connected to anything. Check the resistance from the heat sink to all four spark outputs. If you measure less than 5K ohms, please contact us directly at websales@diyautotune.com for a warranty replacement.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X