strange one off sync loss at high rpms

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

strange one off sync loss at high rpms

Post by swifty35 »

As i late i realised i'm getting a one off sync loss at high rpms and strange thing is it does it either the first or second test pass and never again. If i turn off the car and start back up it would have a sync loss on either the first or second pass again and never again unless i turn off the car again. Sometime when the sync loss happens i realise tunerstudio would sometimes go offline and i would have to unplug the tuner cable and plug it back into the port for tunerstudio to go online and back to dash screen.

I'm using the MS3x assembled at DIY and the DIY honeywell style sensor with a 36-1 trigger wheel
full diy harness shielded etc
i have never adjust the pots from since i installed ecu only adjusted the air gap and never had this issue (which is at about 1.80mm air gap)
i have on the noise filter from the beginning also
sync loss reason is 2 and it only happens at high rpms 6000-7500/8000 rpm range.

could it be that my air gap is too close? or a glitch in the tunerstudio?
does the ms3x noise filter when ever a sync loss occurs it learns the sync loss issue at the point it happened and then prevents it from happening again??

added 3 logs the first 2 logs are when the sync loss issue happens the last log is after the issue occurs that one time and everything goes back to normal after that.
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: strange one off sync loss at high rpms

Post by swifty35 »

Any input? Could it be a firmware bug?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

MSQ? I doubt this is due to air-gap, FW, or TS; I'm guessing a wiring problem or flaky CKP sensor since it is so intermittent and takes down TS. Have you tried running without TS connected, logging to the SD card?

Peeked at a log again... battery voltage varies a lot more than I would expect. Maybe try a run with the alternator disconnected?
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

I was using the brand new alternator from the beginning when the ms3x was installed. What has me confused is why it resets when I turn off the car and then turn it back on with laptop online it does it once then works normal after.

Also I'm currently using a new diy crank sensor
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

I had previously tested the sd log feature in the beginning but I log the normal way instead but I still have the sd card inside the ms3x. I'm currently using the sd log wire as for my front wheel speed sensor
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I was just suggesting using the SD card because then you could eliminate the TS link and any possibility TS is an issue.

New alt or not, the battery voltage is varying more than I would expect; something doesn't seem quite right there. Could be the wiring, or voltage regulator, or ???, just sayin'...
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

Yip would look into the voltage issue but I never had the issue when the new alternator was on. So I just turned on the car and tunerstudio notify me of an error change in water injection pump pin and it showed it was changed to "invalid " not sure how that happened as the ms3x doesn't control my water injection and it was set to off in the settings.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Oh, I didn't realize TS was notifying you of config errors when connecting! Try re-loading the (latest) firmware, and post the MSQ.
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

this is my msq i am currently on the previous firmware to the latest.
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

ok so today now did some testing again had one sync loss again and after i found on one of the test passes after tuner studio went offline by itself i am completely lost to why this is doing this now. And also for some reason on two of my test passes after the injector duty cycle went to 0 for a split second logs below. This is starting to get frustrating can someone please chime in.

check time stamp at 1585.718
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

this is a tooth log of my 36-1 with diy sensor at air gap .053 at idle. i tried getting some more data log but evertime the sync loss issue happens on the second pass it knock tuner studio offline. i am wondering based on the logs when the sync loss happens and the rpms drop to 0-100rpm if tuner studios things the car is switched off and to go offline. Do you have to adjust the pots when useing the diy honeywell type hall sensor? and does all of those sensors come with the built in resistor?
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

you should adjust the pots on the input circuit as stated in the hardware or setup manuals. if its not set up correctly then you will get signal issues, also check your noise filtering, I was getting sync loss when using noise filtering, I had set up the noise filtering when getting the rpm signal from neg side of coil. even though I thought I had the filter time correct for my rpm range I would get random sync loss, Because I was using a hall sensor and 36-1 wheel I turned off the filtering and haven't had a sync loss since.
Good Luck
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Sync-loss won't knock TS off-line, you have some other problem doing that; maybe causing the sync-loss as well.

Yes, you have to adjust the pots when using any CKP sensor. Of course for a VR it is usually the very simple "both full CCW". Speaking of VR, that tooth-log looks surprisingly similar to a VR with reversed polarity...

I don't know if that sensor has a built-in pull-up, I curious about what Matt C. has to say tomorrow.
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

thanks for the input guys. i currently have noise filter on but if i turn it off i get sudden lost syncs as i climb rpms more erratic then with it on. in the tooth log there is only supposed to be one long tooth correct?
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

my ignition input capture is rising edge and the spark output is going high
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

as bill said it could be reversed polarity on the sensor, try switching the wires to the sensor and see what your signal looks like.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Yeah, but isn't this a Hall sensor? (quote from original post):

"I'm using the MS3x assembled at DIY and the DIY honeywell style sensor with a 36-1 trigger wheel"
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

Yip billr it's the hall sensor, I wired it up as the ms3x wiring harness and diy hall sensor suggested. Try switching around the signal and ground wire on the sensor you mean or from the tunerstudio polarity settings?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

No, do not swap wires around with a Hall sensor. I can't advise about swapping the settings in TS.
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

O ok. How would you adjust polarity? In my tooth log the missing tooth has a smaller line next to it what can cause that to happen instead of only one long missing tooth pattern?