strange one off sync loss at high rpms

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: strange one off sync loss at high rpms

Post by hobieboy »

Which Honeywell sensor are you using? Is it the 103SR series? If so, which flavour is it? You need to determine which flavour you have that dictates if the sensor is sending 0V or Vs when magnet is removed. Then you can determine whether trigger should be rising or falling edge. The sensor has specific Vs, Ground and output pins so don't swap them.
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

I'm useing the (honeywell style) DIY hall sensor
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Post the (Honeywell) P/N that is on the sensor, let's be certain what it is.
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

So it's been a while since I updated this problem. Apparently I reflashed the new ms3x 1.4.1 on the ecu and the car stopped given the sudden tuner studio (or ecu) goes offline and then randomly comes back online. But now that I have updated to the new tunerstudio the issue has returned any I'm put as this issue it's starting to get fustrating.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Is the issue that returned the sync loss or the connectivity loss?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

The car doesn't see no sync loss issues up until the problem occurs but when the issues occurs it knocks tunerstudio offline the engine dies and you can hear exhaust backfires from the exhaust but because the car is still in gear and rolling after a few 5 or more seconds the car it may start right up again and tunerstudio will come back online and start to show sync loss number and car will drive like normal.
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

this is a log i not long did with the issue but this time tunerstudio had remained on but this time i could hear my fuel pump relay clicking on and off as though the ecu was switching on and off. the error occurs at time stamp 5.131 you could see a a red and yellow vertical line from top to bottom of log when issue occurred.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Are you using a USB to serial adapter? It definitely seems to be losing sync, but it's hard to see why.
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

Hi Matt I'm currently using the black ms3 cable purchased from DIY
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Can you catch what is going on with an SD card log? That will be able to keep running even if comms are dropped.

If you're having RFI issues, a USB cable with a ferrite choke at each end can help.
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

Hey Matt. I reflashed the firmware again on the ecu and once again so far with traction control off and laptop NOT connected to the car everything seems to be good will test again today. I see on diy they have a USB to serial adapter is that better to use over the black ms3x tuning wire from diy?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It can be, as long as you use the RS232 extension. USB wires are very vulnerable to noise.
93supercoupe
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93supercoupe »

this sounds like a bunch of noise knocking the MS offline.

Try running a ground wire from the engine block (near where the harness/MS grounds) to the Neg of the battery. That helped a ton in my LS car.
BootlegTuned
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

Update. Yesterday I tested it again with laptop connected to ecu tunerstudio running and all went well.this morning I tested it again but this time I had a 1 missing tooth reason 2 happen but didn't catch a log. I don't normally get a 1 tooth sync loss so not sure y that happened this time. Yip I have a big ground wire to the engine from the battery almost next to the ms3x grounds. There is some stuff I will look over on the car not sure if they could add to the issue I had e.g
1) I'm not useing resistor plugs I'm useing BP7ES
2) I'm useing the big (I think 22 pin firewall connector ) for my ms3 main harness the shielded wire on the crank diy hall sensor I had cut the shielding on either side of the bulkhead connector could that be and issue because it's not joined at connector?
3)I had never played with the pots in ecu as I read that with hall sensors you don't need to adjust them mostly with VR.
4) if you look at the logs at my battery voltage could that voltage drop at high rpms cause my issue?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The non-resistor plugs are the biggest potential cause I see. They're nothing but trouble.
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

Hey Matt will get a some plugs and try. Do you have to adjust the crank pots for hall sensor with 36-1 wheel setups?
swifty35
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by swifty35 »

Update. So I put in a set of bkr8es plugs and so far so good without laptop connected, will next connect back the laptop and turn back on the vss % traction control and see what happens.