m50 non vanos ms3x full sequential

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

tylerlud
MS/Extra Newbie

m50 non vanos ms3x full sequential

Post by tylerlud »

ms3x using vq35 ignition coils, high resistance 440cc injectors. crank signal is on point. checked engine timing to ignition timing dead on. my cam signal is the issue I believe to why it wont fire off. I'm including a log and my msq file any help is much appreciated. I have the jumpers set up like in the manual. both cam and crank are factory vr sensors. my cam wheel only has 1 tooth for the pickup. 60-2 for the crank. the only thing I can come up with is the fact the ms3x cam wire is not shielded. I have the pickup going into the cam wire and the neg grounding into the sensor ground on the main harness. tried using all three settings for the cam pickup sounded like it was going to fire the first try on poll but I have no clue what settings I need to use for that. HELP!
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: m50 non vanos ms3x full sequential

Post by grom_e30 »

you do appear to be getting some noise on the cam signal try adjusting the pots full ccw if its as vr sensor. when cranking do you get a solid rpm or is it dropping out to zero?

are you coils and injectors wired per the firing order?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
tylerlud
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tylerlud »

yes the coils and injectors are wired in firing order and both pots are ccw. no drops in rpm while cranking either. is it possible to just go in the software to get it running off the crank only or would I have to rewire the injectors and coils to get wasted spark and semi sequential fuel? im probably going to order a shielded wire from diyautotune this weekend and remove their unshielded cam wire unless I can do something else to get the noise out of the system
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

set the fuel to 'semi sequential', and the ignition to 'wasted cop'
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
tylerlud
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tylerlud »

^^^I will try this as soon as I get home. Thanks for the input.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

quick one for you was it trying to start and then dying? if so and if it runs in wasted cop, im wondering if its sending the spark on the wrong engine phase.
tylerlud
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tylerlud »

no at one point it was trying to fire and would have probably fired up with some gas but I was on the other side of the car. crossing fingers itll start in wasted cop.
tylerlud
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tylerlud »

okay changed settings to semi sequential, wasted cop, tried dual wheel missing teeth and single wheel missing teeth. noise filter on. no start. doesn't even try to fire. heres the log and msq
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

have a go with the test mode to check that the coils and injectors are working. but the rpm signal crank/cam in the latest log are not your problem there fine there
tylerlud
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tylerlud »

after you told me all looked good. I went and checked the basics, injectors firing, coils firing timing good. no fuel pressure but the pump is running(walbro in tank) I popped it out and the line between the pump and the pickup had come loose. so it runs with the modified setup but I'm going to change it back to full sequential tomorrow to see what itll do like that. thanks for the continual help!
93supercoupe
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93supercoupe »

if it still doesnt run when switching to COP/sequential, try adding 360 degrees to your first tooth angle. I just had to do this to a non vanos setup and it worked.
BootlegTuned
tylerlud
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tylerlud »

ok finally got around to getting this car driveable trying to get it dyno ready, I have a serial blue tooth adapter and a tablet for gauges, I'm having a connectivity issue there. it will connect disconnect connect disconnect back and forth even if the tablet is right next to the adapter. the other issue I'm seeing is I cannot get it to rev over 2500 rpm. it sounds like a two step but I have none of the features on and I have the rev limit set at 7000 rpm. ive heard of these installs on this engine breaking up under high load without a 10k resistor in the crank signal ckt. I do not consider 2500 rpm to be high, I may try the resistor anyway but does anyone have any input on the revlimit issue. as soon as it is resolved I'm cleaning everything up and headed to the dyno to see how much she will put down.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

is it a v3.0 or a v3.57 board? a tooth log showing the rpm break up will show if the resistor will help or not
tylerlud
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tylerlud »

grom_e30 wrote:is it a v3.0 or a v3.57 board? a tooth log showing the rpm break up will show if the resistor will help or not

3.57 board, put in the 10k resistor and boom, revs up fine now. just gotta tidy everything up and get it ready for a dynotune thanks for the help
tylerlud
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tylerlud »

does anyone have a tune for an m50 turbo, mine is m50b30. id like to see one In comparision. I'm using the self tuning capability of the tunerstudio but it doesn't seem to be helping when the car goes lean under accel. ive included the final tune of today. first gear it will rev to 35-4000 rpm good afrs, then I shift to second and it goes to s*** it will be lean and almost shut off if I back off the throttle afrs will come back down but they peg out my wideband 18.9
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

can you post a data log? your fuel table looks kinda odd
tylerlud
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tylerlud »

grom_e30 wrote:can you post a data log? your fuel table looks kinda odd

Will post a log tonight going to put an inline gauge to monitor fuel pressure as well
tylerlud
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tylerlud »

leanunderload.msq
heres the datalog, I have a feeling that this is a fuel pump issue. Eventhough I just put a different pump from another build I did a while back in. I am getting a bosch 044 to put in it and maybe beef up the pump supply. The surging idle and the lean surge makes me think it has to be the fuel system and the autotune is trying to compensate for it.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

this sounds feasible. maybe get a pressure gauge on to be sure. you re posted the msq not a data log btw
tylerlud
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tylerlud »

sunday.msq
heres the datalog for that tune. ive let the self tuning software run more it seems to help the idle I also swapped to a brand new fuel pump. while I'm doing 20-50% throttle pulls it seems like as soon as it wants to hit boost it leans out. is there anyone with a boosted m50 I can get an msq file for? even if its a 2.5l at this point I do think its a fueling issue in my tune I'm also including the revised map from today.
leanpulls.msl