VSS2 question

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

VSS2 question

Post by Yves »

I have a wheel sensor (hall sensor) connected to datalog in with a 5V pull up. Attached is my msq.

Cannot seem to get any reading from it and my wiring seems ok. Is there something else that should be set or is there a problem using datalog in for this purpose ?

thanks
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: VSS2 question

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Have you checked the actual signal wire with something like an LED tester? You didn't mention which sensor you used, but I found at least the Cherry sensor is picky about how many ohm's the pull up circuit is versus the voltage given to the sensor. AKA, doesn't like a 1K resistor with 5v, but is okay with 12v.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvIFuRjDqE4

Ignore all the tables below, they were winged in curves before I did any testing and have changed now. But the top left panel show the settings I'm using. The transmission output shaft has a VR sensor, and I installed a hall sensor on the front wheel (as seen in the video) and these settings are working.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Cherry red hall sensor. And yes, I used a 1 kohm resistor as pull up
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Try 12v feed or change the resistor for one with significantly fewer ohms.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!