WB O2 sensor wiring

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jkrueger
Helpful MS/Extra'er

WB O2 sensor wiring

Post by jkrueger »

I have a question on how to wire in my O2 sensor.

MS3X v3.57
AEM 30-4110 WB gauge and sensor

The manual shows that the O2 sensor ground should be wired in with all the other MS sensors. The WB kit from AEM only has 4 wires: 12v, ground, signal, and serial signal. I assume that the ground is for the sensor and the heater in the O2 sensor. Do I want to connect this ground (that is going to have heater current running through it as well) to the other MS sensor grounds?

Thanks

JC
"No matter where you go, there you are."
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: WB O2 sensor wiring

Post by arran »

I would not think it a good idea to wire the AEM gauge such that the heater current is running through the MS Sensor ground setup.
The heater current is typically 1 to 3 amps (reference a tech edge page here http://www.wbo2.com/2d1/default.htm).

The instructions for your gauge describe connection to an (AEM) ECU with just an analog input, which seems unusual to me.
Other AEM WBO2 products like the 30-2310 (which I have) include a separate sensor ground.
RX7 Series 2 13B Turbo. Megasquirt 3 with 3X Expander and V3 CPU. Firmware 1.4.1
Knock module, twin EGT, real time clock, WBO2, full sequential fuel and spark
http://web.aanet.com.au/arran
jkrueger
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jkrueger »

I agree. I didn't think that was a good idea. I'll just wire the O2 sensor ground to the same spot I wire the MS engine grounds to. Hopefully I won't get too much of a voltage drop.

JC
"No matter where you go, there you are."
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

How long of a run is it? Just use a larger wire for the ground and ground to the engine block. On the 4110 it's power ground,

I also run the Aem failsafe wideband along with the 4110. The failsafe has a power ground and dedicated sensor ground to eliminate voltage differences
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
Chiburbian
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Chiburbian »

Just for additional info, the new AEM wideband 02 sensors have two grounds. One is for battery, the other is labeled sensor ground. In this case, I would imagine it is perfectly fine to run the sensor ground from the wideband to the sensor ground on the megasquirt.

Anyone care to disagree?
http://aemelectronics.com/files/instruc ... 0Gauge.pdf
ffr3247r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ffr3247r »

I have just gone thru a huge mess with my WB. It's was innovate though. I had my ground wired to sensor ground and I was occasionally getting goofy readings and sometimes error codes. I replaced sensor, recalibrated, built heat shield. I finically moved my ground to engine grounds and as of today all this has stopped.

I say engine ground where you MS box is grounded
66 Mustang Turbo 6.0 LS on MS3X 80lb Deka injectors Tunerstudio Ultra and MS3 1.5.1