Wiring existing speed sensors for launch control MS3 PRO 2JZ

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jamie_John
MS/Extra Newbie

Wiring existing speed sensors for launch control MS3 PRO 2JZ

Post by Jamie_John »

I want to add 2 speed sensor inputs to my 2JZGTE MS3-PNP Pro ECU to set up Launch control. I have an R154 transmission with the driven wheel speed sensor in the transmission that is 3 wires. I also have an active wheel speed sensor that I added myself to the front hub, the wheel sensor is a hall effect with 2 wires and uses a magnetic tone ring. How do I wire the sensors correctly to the ECU so it can interpret the signals? I believe I may need some type of signal converter to be able to use the signals outputted by the sensors? If so what kind of devices are available to condition the signals? I uploaded a photo with the transmission abs sensor pin-out (Rear speed sensor M/T). Any other info I can provide please ask. Thanks.
mk3 abs wiring diagram 3.png
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Wiring existing speed sensors for launch control MS3 PRO

Post by arran »

You need to identify two available MS3Pro digital inputs.

Sounds like the transmission (rear wheel) sensor is a Hall effect, and if it is two wire it seems likely that the front wheel sensor is not Hall, but is a VR.
Do you have an available VR conditioner in the MS3Pro? What CAS setup is your engine using? If it is a single missing teeth wheel you might have the second onboard VR available. You'd need to send the VR conditioner output to one of the digital inputs you have identified.

The Hall effect on the transmission might need a pull up resistor. Check the voltage level, if 0 to 5 it should be able to be connected up to the other digital input you have identified.

You'll need to calibrate both inputs so that they read a consistent speed.

Arran
RX7 Series 2 13B Turbo. Megasquirt 3 with 3X Expander and V3 CPU. Firmware 1.4.1
Knock module, twin EGT, real time clock, WBO2, full sequential fuel and spark
http://web.aanet.com.au/arran
Jamie_John
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jamie_John »

Thanks Arran, my ECU uses the rear cam sensor for sync, my crank wheel has 12 teeth none missing and 1 tooth for the cam. I'm not sure what circuits provide the conditioner in my ECU, since its a plug and play I'm not entirely sure where I should be connecting these sensors, since I also have an extra output connector also. After looking at my ECU pin-outs I wonder if I could simply connect my speed sensors to the original pin locations in the 2jzgte harness (Sp1 or Sp2?) I would assume these circuits have the conditioner I would need to read the signals correctly? When I look at my documentation for the MS3PRO ECU it says I have 2 I/O points for driveline speed sensors (digital freq IN 2 & 3) #2 is in the option connector, but I don't know where #3 is located coming out of the ECU. I have uploaded the pin-outs for the 2jzgte connector and also the option connector, in which connector should I connect these 2 inputs and how do I select the one I cant see in the drop down menu in tuner studio to put them both to use? Also just a note, I have my clutch switch connected to Digital In 1 (Pin #1 of the option connector) - if I need to use that pin I'll need to move my clutch switch location.

Ms3Pro Documentation: http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/docs/mspnp ... ?isModel=1
AUX Functions I.O .jpg
Rear Option Connector.jpg
2JZGTE Speed Sensors Pinout.jpg
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The MSPNP has a VR conditioned input on SP2+ to SP2-.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Jamie_John
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jamie_John »

Matt Cramer wrote:The MSPNP has a VR conditioned input on SP2+ to SP2-.
Thanks Matt! Once wired which Input in tuner studio do I need to select as the correct input from the drop down menu for SP2+/SP2-? I'm going to use (Digital In 2) in the option connector for my transmission sensor.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Digital Frequency In 2.
Jamie_John
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jamie_John »

Matt Cramer wrote:Digital Frequency In 2.
Ok thank you. So now my front VR wheel speed sensor is connected to SP2+/SP2- using Digital Frequency In 2 from the drop down menu. But that input is also listed on the option connectors pin out so I'm a little confused about where the correct place to connect my transmission sensor is now, since it seems to be on a conflicting input. Right now my ECU in pinned out like this:

SP2+ and Sp2- are connected to the 80 pin plug pins 3 and 23 using Digital Frequency In 2 now from the drop down menu.

My clutch switch using Digital frequency In 1 from the drop down menu connected to Pin #1 of the option connector.

My 3 wire Driven wheel speed sensor in the transmission using Digital Frequency In 2 from the drop down menu is connected to Pin #2 of the option connector. (conflicting inputs with SP2?)

Should I be looking to connect my clutch elsewhere to conserve this input? or the transmission sensor elsewhere? or is there another input label that is used for the option connectors digital inputs? Whats left in the drop down menu are digital "switched" inputs 1,2 &3 (I dont know where they pin out) Digital Switched 12V In and Digital frequency In 3 are available in the list but I dont know where they both pin out either. I also have Pin #3 available in the option connector for VREF but my transmission sensor is already wired to 12v relay power. thanks !
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The options connector and the ECU connector sometimes connect to the same thing inside so as to allow unplugging a sensor in the stock harness and then running the input in through the back of the unit without disrupting the factory wiring.
Jamie_John
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jamie_John »

Matt Cramer wrote:The options connector and the ECU connector sometimes connect to the same thing inside so as to allow unplugging a sensor in the stock harness and then running the input in through the back of the unit without disrupting the factory wiring.
Thank you Matt.

I'm still a bit confused with the pin-out of the option connector and what I should have connected directly to the ECU and what I need to connect through the Auxilary connector, once I have a more solid understanding of the internal wiring between the ECUs pins and Auxilary connectors pins I'll be set. The car no longer has factory wiring and is a swap into an 85 body so All of these functions are being added separately which is probably why I'm having a bit of difficulty getting it set up correctly.

- I understand now that SP2+ and SP2- are connected to Digital Frequency in 2 in the 80 pin plug so I have it connected there now, I tried setting the sensor up but haven't been able to get a signal yet, not sure which settings are required for this, I tried inputting 4000 pulses per mile to start.

- Is Pin #2 of the 40pin plug connected to Digital Frequency in 3 which is internally wired to SP1? Can I connect my transmission sensor here? The original wiring had the dash speedometer taking its signal from this pin.

- What is Digital Frequency In 1 connected to internally? In my Auxilary connector pin out it says CEL, but CEL is an output and I have it connected to Injector Out H. Can I connect my Clutch switch input to Pin #1 of the Auxilary connector?

Auxiliary Function I.O configuration.jpg
2JZGTE-Pinout.jpg
http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/3713 ... e%20Wiring
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Jamie_John wrote:
Matt Cramer wrote:The options connector and the ECU connector sometimes connect to the same thing inside so as to allow unplugging a sensor in the stock harness and then running the input in through the back of the unit without disrupting the factory wiring.
Thank you Matt.

I'm still a bit confused with the pin-out of the option connector and what I should have connected directly to the ECU and what I need to connect through the Auxilary connector, once I have a more solid understanding of the internal wiring between the ECUs pins and Auxilary connectors pins I'll be set. The car no longer has factory wiring and is a swap into an 85 body so All of these functions are being added separately which is probably why I'm having a bit of difficulty getting it set up correctly.

- I understand now that SP2+ and SP2- are connected to Digital Frequency in 2 in the 80 pin plug so I have it connected there now, I tried setting the sensor up but haven't been able to get a signal yet, not sure which settings are required for this, I tried inputting 4000 pulses per mile to start.
It's usually easier to specify trigger wheel teeth.

Also please make sure this is a VR sensor and not Hall effect.
- Is Pin #2 of the 40pin plug connected to Digital Frequency in 3 which is internally wired to SP1? Can I connect my transmission sensor here? The original wiring had the dash speedometer taking its signal from this pin.
Yes, this can take a Hall effect signal.
- What is Digital Frequency In 1 connected to internally? In my Auxilary connector pin out it says CEL, but CEL is an output and I have it connected to Injector Out H. Can I connect my Clutch switch input to Pin #1 of the Auxilary connector?
It is wired to a transistor to drive the Check Engine light (they are labeled as inputs, but can also put out a low current 5V signal). There is no way to access Digital Frequency In without internal modifications.
Jamie_John
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jamie_John »

I think I should go further into detail about the sensor I'm trying to use for wheel speed because its more experimental on my part. I'm trying to add functions to the car that it didn't have before so I've had to be creative with what I could fit as a sensor and pick-up. The sensor I'm trying to read uses a magnetic reluctor ring like this one I found from a Peugeot 206, and the sensor I used is an ABS sensor from a new Dodge Challenger, the pictures I attached are the actual parts I'm trying to use. There are no visible teeth on these kind of wheels. From my understanding the sensor is a 2 wire Hall effect.
2-wire hall effect Abs Sensor.jpg
Peugeot 206 ABS Reluctor Ring.JPG
Chrysler LX ABS Wheel Speed Sensor.jpg
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I think that's a VR sensor.
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

Hello,

There are many teeth on the ring. If you want to count them, use some fine iron filings. It will stick on the teeth as they are "magnetic". This ring is also used on some motors as a trigger wheel (with an hall sensor).
I can supply, repair or upgrade Megasquirts in FRANCE.

https://www.megasquirt.fr