Creating base VE/Timing Table. not making much sense

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

rithsleeper
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Creating base VE/Timing Table. not making much sense

Post by rithsleeper »

When I have Tunerstudio create a VE table the rpm distance between columns jumps around. It raises by 200, 200, 400, 600, 700, 700, 500, 500, etc. Why not flatten out each column and make it rise by 500 each time? I realize the idle has to have better resolution but why would the cruising rpm's have the least resolution? I would think it would need the opposite.

Also I created a Ignition table with the megasquirt table generator and it looks pretty high with some reaching 40* advanced if I wasn't at full throttle in high rpms. This is a Road Race engine so many times I have to hold an rpm through a turn and need to be able to hold 6500 - 7000 because it isn't worth a shift so I need a versatile power-band. I'm really worried about detonation and I want to keep it safe for the time being. I blew an engine last summer when a fuel pump failed spinning at 6500 rpm... I don't want another $4000 bill on my hands. If I'm holding 6500 rpm at half throttle, I could be close to 40* advance.

Engine is a 383 SBC with 210cc AFR heads, 11:1 compression static, medium cam.

I'd appreciate someone looking it over before I start to street tune this thing. I can hear loud knock, but I'm afraid of Knocks I can't hear. Engine is pretty loud.

Thanks,
Mike
robandnoah
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Creating base VE/Timing Table. not making much sense

Post by robandnoah »

I'm a noob so take a grain of salt with this.
looks like that generator didn't work well with your specs.
seems to work well with stock motors though... these seem based on stock practical applications. Your motor is not with that compression.

click on up/down arrow in the far lower left corner and you can create new reference values. click "apply new...." to interpolate.

The calculator can't possibly create an accurate map based on the few variables it asks for. But it will give you a good start. be reasonable and logical and do the above and and you can come up with a good usable table. It would be best if you knew your "stock" numbers but if your motor is knock tolerant you can figure this out pretty quick. I see no boost on your ignition table so I'd say try and replicate your stock ignition and work from there.

Hope this helps.
rithsleeper
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rithsleeper »

The "stock engine" is a 350, 1989 corvette L98. 9.5:1 compression, falls flat on face at 4500rpm. This engine is meant to spin to 7000 and is a 383 with reasonably aggressive solid roller. I can try and find a stock table but I feel like It wouldn't even be close. They really have very little in common. I do agree my table does not look right.

I did notice the table jumps from 4300 to 7000 on ignition so it is identical through those numbers which I like. I feel like the WOT can be higher and the half throttle needs to be lower. Nothing happened when I tried to move the values. But I assume you are speaking about my VE table which has the self tuning so I'm not really that worried about that.

More the Ignition table.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

On the fueling side of things, the Megasquirt world that leaned to tune to that the motor wants. Not what some guy on some site thinks is the hot setup. Simply start with what the table generator give and SLOWLY sneak up on the power. You will see the patterns developing in the VE tables. Some of the people around here are really gifted tuners. They are often willing to help.

Have fun tuning and learning.

Andy
rithsleeper
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rithsleeper »

fueling seems pretty simple. Let it tune itself and watch the wideband. It is the ignition timing table that worries me the most. I was just confused why on the VE table there was an eratic jump in RPM reference. Tuning seems easy. I've built a table myself from scratch with the Holley commander driving with a laptop in my lap. This should be easy. The timing was always a risk and hope.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

If you don't like what the table generator provides (and you shouldn't) then change it. As you said, tuning seems easy, do what you want. If you want a real timing table take it to a professional with a dyno, peace of mind for a few $$.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

You can always put in the same curve that an old school Dizzy gives. You should be able to find that somewhere on the net with a little Google searching.

Andy