New MS3 install on LT1 troubles

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ChevelleFan
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: New MS3 install on LT1 troubles

Post by ChevelleFan »

Looks like it starts, closes the IAC motor where your idle settles down. IAC is at 40 steps, which mean you should be able to close it further to reduce your idle a little more. Try lowering the values at in the 110 & 130 fields of "Idle Warmup Duty/Steps." Cut them in half and see how it reacts.

You should really do yourself a favor and get a wideband. You can get an Innovate LC-2 kit w/gauge on Amazon for $165. It will make the rest of the tuning a whole lot easier. Those narrowband sensors in your car were for emissions purposes. Stock ECU uses them to keep the mix around 14.7 AFR so that the catalytic converter functions properly.

-Dave
'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73 MS3X, 36-1, LS Coils, Holley Stealthram -- success story
'92 Saturn 1.9 DOHC/5sp, MS3, Champcar racer success story
'79 Malibu DartSHP400/80mm/PG/3.55, MS3X/36-1/LS Coils -- success story
Porsche 944 S2 3.0 -- MS3X/36-1/LS Coils, 1:44s Mid-Ohio, Pro Course
rdmotors
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rdmotors »

I have worked the steps down and it is settling down and not pulsing as much. Still some things to adjust, will get to it over time. Had to go up on cranking pulse in the temp scale since today it was harder to start up once warm. That got it to starting like it is at lower temps.

I will go to a wide band setup once I get a few other things done. Like getting it on the road to go to a muffler shop to put the bung in. I have to get a system that has long enough wires to put the sensor where I can. My y pipe joins back near the rear end so I have to one day get under it and see what lengths I need. Until then just need it moving around so I can .....get it to a muffler shop.

The next thing I need assistance on is the Megashift GIPO is in and wired up and seems to communicate fine with everything. The trans is sending signals to the controller. The problem is it isn't shifting out of first. Looking at the "gauges" for the trans controller once you put it in reverse the "gauge" says it never leaves reverse in any gear you put it in? Help? don't even know where to start there....
rdmotors
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rdmotors »

Can the Megasquirt 3 connect to a Megashift controller

http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V2code.html#load

This doesn't work??

http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/V5code.html

This doesn't work???

So What I am getting is....

Can Device firmware mismatch

Current config serial signature ""either one I use""
controller required serial signature "MS3 Format 0524.05"
controller reported firmware verison "MS3 1.4.1"

What do I load to get this fixed??
rdmotors
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rdmotors »

Well doesn't seem to be any answers for that....?

So I am trying to run the trans controller as a stand alone. I am having trouble with the default load for the 4l60e. The tables come in all incorrect like -155 for line pressure. So I keep tinkering. It is just hard on the trans right now since it slips quite a bit. Good thing it is rebuilt with all new clutches and plates. I try not to run it long and heat it up. I taking like half mile trips to see what I got each time.

Other wise got the motor running fair. Still having some problems with starting, but finding when it is warm I had no cranking pulses. So I bump them up a bit and all goes well. Idling is getting better I move the steps at 2 over the length of the graph and it is getting better each time. It still idles a little high, but changing the steps keeps it from "searching" for a idle rpm. Going to try the fuel table next? Maybe?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Please post the trans controller tune.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
rdmotors
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rdmotors »

So far I have gotten it to shift finally then got it to stop slipping, but don't have third gear. Don't know if I have fourth or tcc lock.
rdmotors
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rdmotors »

I know this is MS3 Forum but I tried posting something a week ago in the Megashift forum and it never showed. So I am trying to get the info out here.

I went over it all this weekend and couldn't find a thing. Then I had a thought... I open tunerstudio up and for a few seconds the tabs at the top for Shift output patterns and tach & load shifts are not greyed out. So I went poking around. Found the line pressure settings for upshift and down shift under shift output patterns was set at 255 for all shifts. Well knowing that wasn't right I now have them set at 90 for each hoping that will correct most of my slipping and lack of gears. At this point I have not tried it yet. Will soon though. I also noted under tach & load shifts it was set at 6000 at 100 load, not want ting to turn my motor that high I dropped it 500rpm. I am hoping all this is getting me pointed along in the right direction.

Do have to ask have I do something to have those two tabs greyed out after a few secs?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Consider using James's transmission control code; it's a lot less of a science project.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
rdmotors
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rdmotors »

I would do that but ...always a but......I can handle the wiring mods...but the manual doesn't tell you what modifications the board requires...since "it is beyond the scope of this manual"
rdmotors
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rdmotors »

I began emailing diyautotune a couple of days ago and they have gotten me to use the James's transmission control code. So far I have not had to rewire or change the board in any way. I am still having a couple of troubles, still only got first gear and the shift selector isn't working but we are getting there. Had trouble with communications between the two units but if I don't touch anything in the MS3 as far as can connections it works. To adjust either unit I have to connect directly to it.