MS3 pro Cant figure out why it wont start!

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 pro Cant figure out why it wont start!

Post by Rick Finsta »

vw_chuck wrote:Why is the car turning over so slow? 100 RPM aint much. Put the battery charger or jumper on it and get it turning faster. The VR signal is not very big at 100 RPM.
My 11.5:1 V8 with a healthy battery and starter only spins 100-110rpm during cranking. I don't think it will get much over 200rpm with the plugs out. I run a 12V system and a Denso style gear-reduction starter. I don't think his cranking speed is out of line.
vw_chuck
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by vw_chuck »

I guess this guy figured out what was wrong since he didn't reply back. I would love to know what the issue was.
Gregetter
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Gregetter »

jsmcortina wrote:If you haven't already, try setting the spark output to "Wasted COP" temporarily.

Sometimes the COP spark can be 360 degrees off - the timing looks good on a strobe but it won't start.

James
James, I'm fighting a similar no start situation. (although I can't get sync) Why are COP setups sometimes 360 off? How would one correct this?

Thanks
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Gregetter wrote:Why are COP setups sometimes 360 off? How would one correct this?
Misconfigured wheel decoder. When that happens, you add 360 to Tooth #1 Angle.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

It is 100% to do with the fact that in an otto cycle there are 2 x TDC's. If you are sparking on the wrong one it won't work. So the cam signal must tell the ecu when the engine is coming onto the compression stroke. This can easily be misconfigured by setting up on the wrong TDC (mid exhaust and intake). It is the same thing as having your distributor 180 out on an old school engine.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke