What do I need to tune a 5.3?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

RGNHD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

What do I need to tune a 5.3?

Post by RGNHD »

Hey Guys.
I am looking at getting a MS3 to tune my 5.3 with LS1 Intake swap into my 240sx.
I feel fairly confident in wiring the harness as I made a standalone harness for the stock PCM.
How would I go about wiring this motor however if I do not have the 3X board to handle the 8 injectors and Coilpacks?
Without the 3x board do I still have 2 step tuning as well?
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: What do I need to tune a 5.3?

Post by DaveEFI »

The V3 board has two injector drivers which will happy drive two banks of 4 injectors in batch mode. You can also use LS coils as wasted spark. You'll find details of how to in the manual. But it would make far more sense to buy the adaptor board and go sequential.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
hiltonlo05
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hiltonlo05 »

Yes, for the minimal additional cost, get the expansion board and go sequential. Far more options
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

I vote for going MS3X. I prefer 36-1 trigger wheels when practical.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

hiltonlo05 wrote:Yes, for the minimal additional cost, get the expansion board and go sequential. Far more options
Yep. Without the MS3X, an MS3 is basically an MS2 with SD card logging and a couple more software features. The MS3 Base really only exists because there wasn't an easy way to go to the MS3 with MS3X in a single hardware step, and I'd only recommend it for a couple very specific applications that need a lot of internal features but a tiny amount of I/O (certain V-twin motorcycles, for example).
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
RGNHD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RGNHD »

Thanks for the input guys. If I already have a MS3. How hard it is to install the 3X board?
Looks mostly like it's just plugging in the ribbon cables and mounting it.
Is that correct?
hiltonlo05
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hiltonlo05 »

RGNHD wrote:Thanks for the input guys. If I already have a MS3. How hard it is to install the 3X board?
Looks mostly like it's just plugging in the ribbon cables and mounting it.
Is that correct?
That's right. Plugs right in with 2 Ribbon cables and a jumper I think.
RGNHD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RGNHD »

hiltonlo05 wrote: That's right. Plugs right in with 2 Ribbon cables and a jumper I think.
That's easy enough. Thanks guys for all the help!
I do have a few more questions however.
How would I go about setting up my wideband/s?
Should I just run one all the way at the Y-pipe or do I need to run two? One on each side of the engine?
If I need to run two how would I set them up? Does the ECU have 2 inputs for the Widebands or do I have to combine them together somehow?

Does anyone also have a basic wiring diagram for wiring a LS motor?
All the diagrams I am seeing only have 4 or 6 injectors connected.
hiltonlo05
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hiltonlo05 »

I run 2 widebands, one at each header collector (sidepipes so my banks are exhausted separately) you can use normal ego and ego2 inputs to accomplish this. You can even run 8 widebands if you want to get crazy.

The X card will have injector outputs for 8 individual injectors and 8 individual spark outputs. So the injector and spark outputs on the main board can then be used for other outputs you may want in the future.
RGNHD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RGNHD »

hiltonlo05 wrote:I run 2 widebands, one at each header collector (sidepipes so my banks are exhausted separately) you can use normal ego and ego2 inputs to accomplish this. You can even run 8 widebands if you want to get crazy.

The X card will have injector outputs for 8 individual injectors and 8 individual spark outputs. So the injector and spark outputs on the main board can then be used for other outputs you may want in the future.
No wonder everyone loves these ECU's literally every input can be programmed for just about anything?
hiltonlo05
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hiltonlo05 »

Only a couple of outputs are hard coded and can't be re-assigned, but the higher up experts can speak better on that. I'm a newbie still learning.
RGNHD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RGNHD »

One other question for your guys.
What wideband kits do you guys use?
https://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Motorsp ... H1Z02X092K

^Can I get this wide band kit and then another sensor and wire that to the PCM?

Or would this be more along the lines of what I need?
https://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Motorsp ... l+wideband
hiltonlo05
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hiltonlo05 »

I'm using a pair of Spartan 2s from 14point7.com. They have a bootup mode that runs 13.3 then 16.7 AFR that allows precise calibration for megasquirt. They also use the latest Bosch LSU 4.9 sensors. Not bad on the wallet either. $75 for the controller and $50 for the sensor.
RGNHD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RGNHD »

hitonlo05,

Thank you so much for that! I never knew about this company.
Just to make sure I understand correctly. I'm assuming that for the two sensors I need two controllers.
Then the signal from the controllers go into the megasquirt. Correct?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

RGNHD wrote:Just to make sure I understand correctly. I'm assuming that for the two sensors I need two controllers.
Then the signal from the controllers go into the megasquirt. Correct?
Correct.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Is there any real advantage in practice using two sensors on a V8? One per cylinder, I could understand. But why would you have a fuelling difference between banks?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
hiltonlo05
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hiltonlo05 »

DaveEFI wrote:Is there any real advantage in practice using two sensors on a V8? One per cylinder, I could understand. But why would you have a fuelling difference between banks?
Sidepipes so my banks are exhausted separately. Mine detected a leak in the header at the collector (rust). Probably don't have to have two, but I wanted it and it wasn't a lot of money and I had the inputs for it.

Yes you will need two controllers. You can use your main ego and ego2 inputs as well as any other ADC inputs on the expansion card. If you want 8 cyl O2, can do that with CAN.

Be warned, 14point7 is a Canadian company, so shipping isn't instant. It took about 2weeks to get the stuff for me in Louisiana. Alan at that company is easy to work with though and will pick up a phone if you call with tech questions.
RGNHD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RGNHD »

Thanks guys so much for the input.
Everything I need should be in next week.
Another question. I am running these Exhaust manifolds that have the bung for the o2 sensor in the manifold itself.
Would it be okay for me to put my widebands here or do I need to run them in my downpipes?
hiltonlo05
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hiltonlo05 »

RGNHD wrote:Thanks guys so much for the input.
Everything I need should be in next week.
Another question. I am running these Exhaust manifolds that have the bung for the o2 sensor in the manifold itself.
Would it be okay for me to put my widebands here or do I need to run them in my downpipes?
I don't remember the exact location recommended, but the Spartan 2 instructions gives a minimum and maximum distance. Too close and the sensor could get too hot. It is a heated sensor so too far from the head wouldn't be a deal breaker, just may result in lag in the readings
RGNHD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RGNHD »

Thanks for all the help and support guys.
I received the MS3 on Friday created my wiring harness this weekend.
I was able to connect the 4 mandatory signals to the ECU was able to confirm that they were working within TunerStudio.
My MS3X board should be in tomorrow and I have my Injector and Coil wiring labeled and ready for easy and quick installation.
Just to make sure on the MS3X with the injectors and coils labeled as A through H.
Do I wiring everything in firing order or does cylinder 1 go to A and cylinder 2 to B, etc.