Misfire during acceleration

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dn010
MS/Extra Newbie

Misfire during acceleration

Post by dn010 »

Hi guys, I'm back to get some help, I tried adjusting certain things and I've gotten nowhere.

Basically what my problem is, the car idles great, and accelerates great after a certain RPM. My car is manual transmission so when I just start off and the RPMs are low with a load, the engine misfires until the RPMs increase over 1500~2000ish. It happens even if I am coasting down the road with low RPMs in a higher gear, the engine will miss, the car will shake and buck until I get the RPMs up again. I am running a V6 PRV engine, even fire, MAF based (Ford 6-pin), with EDIS ignition. It seems during idle my EGO is always over a volt and my AFR is always 10.9ish, lower once I begin going. The exhaust smells rich and EGO correction isn't doing anything for me. Maybe this is my problem? Maybe I need a new O2 sensor?

MSQ is attached here:
new2016-08-13_14.15.43.msq
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Dan B.
dn010
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Misfire during acceleration

Post by dn010 »

To update this, I recalibrated my LC2 sensor. after reading about it since I lost the hardcopy manual, I realize I had the wrong output wire going to the ECU. Swapped the output wire, input the volt/AFR info into TS and I am now getting proper AFR readings. I will test run it shortly and see if it made a difference.
dn010
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dn010 »

Same results. I tried adjusting the required fuel down and up a few points but it still misfires. I am thinking it is possibly timing related?
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

post up a datalog of the behaviour.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
dn010
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dn010 »

quick run around the block.
send.msl
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Something is driving your Duty Cycle crazy. I have not found the source of the problem yet. Personally, I would change to speed density and see if things make more sense.

To do this, it may be easier to start with a fresh default MSQ.

Andy
dn010
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dn010 »

I can begin again from scratch using speed density but I would like to leave that as a last resort. In the meantime, does anyone have any other thoughts?
dn010
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dn010 »

Quick question, would a dead or clogged injector cause this readings?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Things I am seeing in the log:

1. The EGO correction is really chasing its tail; I'm seeing it bounce from 85% to 115% and back. Try locking this out until you have the tune working better.

2. I'm seeing one or two RPM spikes.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
dn010
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dn010 »

Thank you for taking a look at the log Matt.

I will deactivate EGO correction until I can clean up this tune a bit. I will also hunt down the cause of the RPM spikes in my logs. I would like to rule anything out prior to using the noise filter- I just found my VR sensor is slightly loose so after fixing that I will go over the electric/grounds portion and run another log. Last but not least, I plan to replace my injectors with reman ones, I am not confident in the current ones I am using at this time.

Thanks again for the help, I hope my next post following up about this will be that it has been solved!

Cheers,
Dan B.
dn010
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dn010 »

So my wife and I decided to split a 6 pack, once we were finished I took my injectors off the engine and stuck them into the bottles.

I turned the fuel pump on and tested the injectors to find that 1 was not firing. I inspected the wiring and found one of the pins for the connector had backed out. I reinstalled it and retested to have all operational injectors. I messed with the PW to find that at 1.3ms the injector was just squirting fuel.

So back to TS. I adjust my deadtime, change squirts from 2 to 6, alternating to simultaneous. I cannot get the AFR to keep steady even at 2000RPMs bumping the deadtime from 1 to 1.5 however at 1.4 I got good AFR at idle and a test run gave me very minimal bucking and misfiring.

So, I am now lead to believe I just have a bad tune when it comes to fuel. I am currently working on my sensor and RPM spikes in the data log. I am trying to get injectors that are already flow tested with data so I have some sort of base number in input for dead time.

And so, it continues....