whats the better choice half moon cam sensor or single tooth

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

whats the better choice half moon cam sensor or single tooth

Post by kaeman »

I am repairing my engine, I had a roller lifter fail and have had to tear down the engine, I built a half moon cam sensor tooth but for some reason it only gets read at the leading and trailing ends of the tooth, the middle of the tooth doesn't read. I just had it check the poll at a specific tooth location and it has synced up just fine, but if I am doing that is there any reason not to cut the tooth down to a smaller lighter version, and just check the poll level at the new location?
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
hiltonlo05
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: whats the better choice half moon cam sensor or single t

Post by hiltonlo05 »

I run a single tooth 1/4" wide by 1/2" tall target for cam signal. Works well for me.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

kaeman wrote:I am repairing my engine, I had a roller lifter fail and have had to tear down the engine, I built a half moon cam sensor tooth but for some reason it only gets read at the leading and trailing ends of the tooth, the middle of the tooth doesn't read. I just had it check the poll at a specific tooth location and it has synced up just fine, but if I am doing that is there any reason not to cut the tooth down to a smaller lighter version, and just check the poll level at the new location?
Wow, that's not good. How many miles, what type of lifters, revkit or not ?

I using a half moon, works great for me.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

I'd say it doesn't matter. MS would normally trigger on the leading edge of the pulse. And it appears to be doing that.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

I think I will make the single tooth and change the polling position.

Yves the lifters are comp cams endure-x solid roller lifters, on a xr 292 r camshaft. the number 2 exhaust lifter had the needle bearing fail, which then killed the camshaft.... I am checking out the repair service com cams offers, but I am seriously considering upgrading to comp cams sportsman lifters because of the improved oiling system.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Hm, most of the fails I heard about were with comp cams. I'm using Morels with pressurized oiling, a revkit and shaft rockers.

Over on speedtalk there were also some threads about this failure caused by lifters that were out of alignment and riding ln one side of the roll. Do yourself a favor and take the roller pin out. See if the roller has bitten into the sides of the lifter body. Also check the wear pattern of the lifter bores.

What type/year block?