ECU Temperature reads high?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

KenAdkison
MS/Extra Newbie

ECU Temperature reads high?

Post by KenAdkison »

My new MS3-Pro shows a high ECU temp although, I think it's fine.
I replaced my prior MS3X harness making up a new MS3-Pro harness and tested every wire with a meter.
I left all the loads and sensors unplugged and powered on the ECU to establish initial comm's and found the ECU-Temp reading 200 deg. F right out of the box.

In the generic sensor dialog box, it only offers the GM sensor choice for configuration and calibration.
I've 35 years in electronic repair, so I opened and nothing is even warm. If it's likely a hardware issue, and you would like me to check something, I could send a scope screenshot.

I completed I/O testing and calibration and the car runs fine, with a little finessing of the MS3X code.
It seems the VE table is all shifted, but with the target AFR, autotune and I can fix that.

Thanks So far
Ken
MGB MS3/MSX full sequential and closed loop with cross flow head
Ken Adkison
Shelton Washington
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: ECU Temperature reads high?

Post by kaeman »

Does the temp read correctly now that everything is plugged in? Without the sensors plugged in you might have been picking up voltage like a radio antenna, giving the ecu a false reading.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
KenAdkison
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KenAdkison »

No, My unit seems to be bad.
I emailed support looking for resolution and they are working on a solution.

For EMI protection I'm using "Conductive Cloth Fabric Adhesive Tape LCD Laptop EMI Shielding". You can buy it online.

It is really amazing as it handled the torch flame test better than all the other tapes I have used, is super tough and provides EMI protection.
This stuff looks the business but take longer to wrap and as it is tape makes it harder to bend or upgrade the harness.
MGB MS3/MSX full sequential and closed loop with cross flow head
Ken Adkison
Shelton Washington
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

Did you install all sensor grounds to the white/black wiring to the db37 harness?
jsiedlicki
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jsiedlicki »

I just had the same issue. Brand new MS3-Pro and out of the box the ECU temp was around 200. My MS3-Pro has the wrong resisters in the ECU temp circuit. I had to send mine back for a replacement (its still there). If you want to check it, open the case and check the resistance of R12 and R13 (they are labeled on the board. Mine was 1.242 k ohms for R12 and R13 was 0.188 k ohms. Both were out of spec. I'd wager that they had a bad batch of boards made up with incorrect components.

Call or email DIYAutotune for a repair/replacement.
MS3-Pro 1st Gen | Honda K24 Supercharged
MS3/MS3X | SB Ford 347 stroker
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

How recently were these ECUs purchased?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jsiedlicki
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jsiedlicki »

Mine was purchased July 12th and has a date of 3/2016 on a sticker attached to the board. See picture below.
IMG_20160811_151257.jpg
http://imgur.com/a/flrta
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

jsiedlicki wrote:I just had the same issue. Brand new MS3-Pro and out of the box the ECU temp was around 200. My MS3-Pro has the wrong resisters in the ECU temp circuit. I had to send mine back for a replacement (its still there). If you want to check it, open the case and check the resistance of R12 and R13 (they are labeled on the board. Mine was 1.242 k ohms for R12 and R13 was 0.188 k ohms. Both were out of spec. I'd wager that they had a bad batch of boards made up with incorrect components.

:shock:

As a dealer i recently sold some ms3pro that I source in a similar date. I hope they are good (i guess not). I will ask to customers about this info and deal with this if necessary :RTFM: The big problem here is that I'm living in France, not USA ! It will cost a lot to send units back...

How can this happen since this is a easely controlable parameters ? Tech Edge have a set of tests for EACH device they build to avoid this kind of thing. Maybe DIY should do the same ?
I can supply, repair or upgrade Megasquirts in FRANCE.

https://www.megasquirt.fr
jsiedlicki
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jsiedlicki »

I would not jump the gun and assume all units are bad. Mine is definitely bad and the original poster's seems to have the same issue, but I do not know his production date. As you are a dealer you could open up any units you have in stock and check the resistance of R12 & R13 to know for sure before selling them.

Ken, can you post your production date sticker?
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

jsiedlicki wrote:As you are a dealer you could open up any units you have in stock and check the resistance of R12 & R13 to know for sure before selling them.
Sure, but this is definitively something I don't want to do !!! As a builder, DIY MUST ASSUME A FULL TEST FOR THERE PRODUCTS. That's all.

I'm currently on vacations far from my house and will check this when I'll be back at the office.

Regards,
Manu

DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Manu wrote:
jsiedlicki wrote:I just had the same issue. Brand new MS3-Pro and out of the box the ECU temp was around 200. My MS3-Pro has the wrong resisters in the ECU temp circuit. I had to send mine back for a replacement (its still there). If you want to check it, open the case and check the resistance of R12 and R13 (they are labeled on the board. Mine was 1.242 k ohms for R12 and R13 was 0.188 k ohms. Both were out of spec. I'd wager that they had a bad batch of boards made up with incorrect components.

:shock:

As a dealer i recently sold some ms3pro that I source in a similar date. I hope they are good (i guess not). I will ask to customers about this info and deal with this if necessary :RTFM: The big problem here is that I'm living in France, not USA ! It will cost a lot to send units back...

How can this happen since this is a easely controlable parameters ? Tech Edge have a set of tests for EACH device they build to avoid this kind of thing. Maybe DIY should do the same ?
I'd say it would be cheaper to have the resistors replaced locally. As well as quicker. it's possible to DIY - unlike say a SM processor which can be tricky.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
jsiedlicki
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jsiedlicki »

DaveEFI wrote:I'd say it would be cheaper to have the resistors replaced locally. As well as quicker. it's possible to DIY - unlike say a SM processor which can be tricky.
Sure you can fix almost anything yourself, but that is not the point. An MS3-Pro unit is not assembled by the user like MS3/MS3X and should not have incorrect components installed from the supplier. You would not buy any other standalone ECU like AEM, Motec etc. and have to crack it open to fix an assembly error.
FoundSoul
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by FoundSoul »

Just a quick note to let you guys know I'm aware of this and we're looking into it-- and we'll take care of people if there was a problem there.

Our final QA test rig is pretty extensive, running each of these ECUs on a live bench with real injectors/ignition coils (sparks flying), fuel pump, IAC, in most cases using actual automotive parts for true-to-life loads. This internal ECU temp 'might' have slipped past the dev team when I asked them to make sure every I/O was tested-- I'm working to determine how it was missed now. Either it wasn't in the test procedure, or the assembly tech didn't follow a step-- and either way I need to, and will, have that corrected.

And we'll have a solution for customers that are effected..... We put this in there as a 'free' helpful diagnostic tool for us internally and never put it on the main features list, but it is in the hardware spec, and it should work. We'll make it right...
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
Founder DIYAutoTune.com / AMPEFI.com

The DIY EFI Tuners Guide – How to Install, Configure, and Tune EFI!

Killer Products We've Brought to Life:
MS3Pro, MSPNP and MS3Pro PNP
More info on MSPNP Models
MicroSquirt AMP'd!
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

Hi Jerry,

I'm back from vacations nd would like to know what components need to be check and what values should they have.

Regards,
Manu

DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

jsiedlicki wrote:
DaveEFI wrote:I'd say it would be cheaper to have the resistors replaced locally. As well as quicker. it's possible to DIY - unlike say a SM processor which can be tricky.
Sure you can fix almost anything yourself, but that is not the point. An MS3-Pro unit is not assembled by the user like MS3/MS3X and should not have incorrect components installed from the supplier. You would not buy any other standalone ECU like AEM, Motec etc. and have to crack it open to fix an assembly error.
Very true - but you mentioned the time and cost of sending it back for correction. Which could apply to any other make too?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
FoundSoul
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by FoundSoul »

There are a few ways to 'skin this cat'. We're working on something that may make it very simple for you all, with no shipping/resistor swapping required hopefully.

We'll keep you posted.
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'

MicroSquirt AMP'd!
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

Hi Jerry,

I have to send an MS3pro today, at least tomorrow, to an customer. I would really like to make it conform. Please tell me what I have to do. Changing 2 resistors is not a problem, even more...

Regards,
Manu

FoundSoul
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by FoundSoul »

It is just two resistors, what's your email address? I'll have the tech guys, probably Matt, contact you with the info you need.

I'd post it here but I hate the idea of people having to open up these pro ECUs to change anything and typically that's discouraged. We will have a software 'fix' soon I think, but if you want to correct this via a resistor swap that's fine. I just don't want the world to think they need to, as they shouldn't have to and we'll have an easier fix available as soon as possible.
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'

MicroSquirt AMP'd!
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

Hello,

Is there any update about that ?

I'd send my mail as asked, without any reply :(

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

We're putting the new software update through testing and debugging.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X