MS3x ignition 4age 20v

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

thomas r
MS/Extra Newbie

MS3x ignition 4age 20v

Post by thomas r »

Hello everybody,
I'm actually building my MS3 with MS3X and i 'm uncertain with the ignition input.
I would have Sequential ignition (COP) and fuel.
I have read on the manual than the origin nippondenso Cas which is a 24 tooth wheel + one signe tooth wheel both on the cam is sufficient to run the set up.
I would know first what type of sensor (hall, Vr, optical) are the nippondenso CAS.
And secondly if it is efficient for the sequential set up or if it is preferable to add a 36-1 wheel on the cranshaft + hall effect sensor (i have theses parts) and use just the sensor of the one tooth wheel in the cam.
Anyway i can't use both the 36-1 wheel + the two on the cam as i have just two ignition input (tach and cam).
Thank you for help me guy's.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: MS3x ignition 4age 20v

Post by muythaibxr »

Stock setup is VR, and yes you can add a 36-1 on the crank and rig something up for the cam, and yes that will be better.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
thomas r
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by thomas r »

Hi, thanks for your reply.
So for you i should use the 36-1 wheel as tac :) :) input and use the G1 or G2 sensor from the one tooth wheel on the cam as cam input ?
Why the 36-1 wheel on crankshaft will be better than the 24 tooth wheel of nippondenso CAS ?
I think the 36-1wheel will give more information because it have more tooth, but the 24 tooth wheel of nippondenso isn't enough to run Cop and sequential fuel ?
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

The 24 tooth is mounted to the cam. The cam is belt driven. There is some play there. Also, if you use the ND wheel for the 2nd trigger, you may have noise problems stemming from the shared ground between Ne, G1, and G2. 36-1 will be directly mounted to the crank, so no slop.

If you go 36-1 I would suggest that you might need something custom for the cam.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
thomas r
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by thomas r »

By custom you mean have just one wheel on the cam to have a ground dedicate for that wheel and so, not have a share ground ?