K24A2 MS3 question

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

EM2CIVIC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

K24A2 MS3 question

Post by EM2CIVIC »

Im getting ready to swap a k24a2 into my car but I dont have an ecu for it. I have a ms3x that im not using. My question is how practical would my engine be with a ms3? The main reason that im scared to use it was because the knock senor doesnt change the spark table, what happens when the elevation, humidity, and temperatures change? I really want to go with a Hondata Kpro 4 but if the ms3 can ran the engine smoothly and efficiently i wouldn't using it
nyborggarage
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: K24A2 MS3 question

Post by nyborggarage »

I am also considering using my ms3x on a k24a2/3.

I do not have the same concerns though.

Knock control in only a last resort.

Temperature changes is tuned with air temp and coolant temp tables, just like on the hondata.

If you use the stock honda MAP you also have the option to have baro (altitude) corrections, just like on hondata.

And from the advertised specs i would say the MS knock control is better than hondata. But again, it is only a last resort, like if you come across a bad batch of fuel, or if the fuel pump fails.

My concern is more in terms of how well it works with the stock trigger wheels. My haltech ps1000 has lots of problems finding synch at startup with the stock k24 trigger wheels and sensors.

And also if the VTC management works as good as the oem/hondata. (fast and precise).
Nyborg Garage, Norway, Honda Tuning.
www.facebook.com/nybga
EM2CIVIC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by EM2CIVIC »

the hondata has much more support
93supercoupe
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93supercoupe »

EM2CIVIC wrote:the hondata has much more support
Its hard to beat Kpro for the price, ability and ease. They really do have it figured out, but mainly because its stock ecu based. The v4 stuff is pretty well developed and i think can now do real time updates on all maps. (v3 you can choose 5 or so maps that you want to real time update.)

Im die hard MS, but ive done enough hondata cars to figure out its probably not worth the hassle.
BootlegTuned
EM2CIVIC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by EM2CIVIC »

93supercoupe wrote:
EM2CIVIC wrote:the hondata has much more support
Its hard to beat Kpro for the price, ability and ease. They really do have it figured out, but mainly because its stock ecu based. The v4 stuff is pretty well developed and i think can now do real time updates on all maps. (v3 you can choose 5 or so maps that you want to real time update.)

Im die hard MS, but ive done enough hondata cars to figure out its probably not worth the hassle.

What can the kpro do that the ms3 can't?
I think the ms3 is geared more towards race cars and older engines. You seem to get the best of both worlds with the kpro
EM2CIVIC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by EM2CIVIC »

nyborggarage wrote:I am also considering using my ms3x on a k24a2/3.

I do not have the same concerns though.

Knock control in only a last resort.

Temperature changes is tuned with air temp and coolant temp tables, just like on the hondata.

If you use the stock honda MAP you also have the option to have baro (altitude) corrections, just like on hondata.

And from the advertised specs i would say the MS knock control is better than hondata. But again, it is only a last resort, like if you come across a bad batch of fuel, or if the fuel pump fails.

My concern is more in terms of how well it works with the stock trigger wheels. My haltech ps1000 has lots of problems finding synch at startup with the stock k24 trigger wheels and sensors.

And also if the VTC management works as good as the oem/hondata. (fast and precise).
ive heard that you have to cut a tooth on one of the cams trigger wheels for the decoder to work properly and that the vtc management is laggy on the ms3
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

EM2CIVIC wrote: ive heard that you have to cut a tooth on one of the cams trigger wheels for the decoder to work properly and that the vtc management is laggy on the ms3
Not anymore. Current firmware has a dedicated K24A2 cam decoder coded for the stock trigger wheels.

Dialing out lagginess is mostly a matter of getting the correct PID settings.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X